Profile Evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by rdoy02 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:31 pm

GMAT: Male

Nationality: Caucasion American

Education: 3.3 GPA from 11th ranked undergrad business school with a full year abroad at top 3 ranked international school

Major: Business - Finance and Marketing double major and minor in international business

Work Experience: 1 year at a top international middle market investment bank, investment banking group

3.5 years (by matriculation) small private equity shop, sector specific. Promotions, a lot of responsibility, strong recs from supervisors

ECs: Founded and ran fundraising group in college that raised over $100,000. Group still operates. Currently active in similar efforts.

GMAT: 680

I'd like to continue along the finance route at a larger PE shop and broader industry. I obviously have to tighten up my story. I plan on hiring a consultant.

My question is if I have a shot at a top 10/15 school. The schools that I'm interested in are Tuck, Ross, Columbia and Anderson.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Paxton Helms - Kaplan » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:23 pm
Hi and thanks for the question. I think you have definitely have a shot at those programs.

A few thoughts, though:

- Given your strong undergraduate training and your quant-oriented work experience...(I hope I'm not being too blunt) I would have expected a slightly better GMAT. Don't get me wrong...a 680 is a very fine score but, given the programs that you want to apply to, I think it would be nice to have it higher and I think it is realistic to think that you can get it higher. Thoughts?

- Your work and undergraduate backgrond are consistent with what I would expect to see from somebody applying to high-end schools like the ones that you are applying to...

- ...So...the thing for you to bear in mind, I think, is that, within those top twenty schools, there is still significant variation. Please do NOT be satisfed with just looking at a top twenty school --it is important that you think carefully about the factors that I lay out in my sticky post about criteria for choosing a business school. Please understand: just because a school is great --it is NOT necessarily a great school for you.

Let me know your thoughts about the GMAT and any other questions that you might have.

Paxton