Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:760

Profile Evaluation

by rs2010 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:16 pm
Hi Lisa,

Please take a look at my profile and let me know your thoughts about it.
I will be concise and this will save your time :)

Ethnicity/Gender: Indian/Male

GPA, major, school:
GPA: 75%( I was in top 5%) , but when I convert this to GPA on the scale of 4 it becomes 3.0 :(
Major: Electronics and Telecommunication (May 2005)
College: One of the reputed institutes in India(Close to NIT)

GMAT with breakdown:
GMAT: 760
Q50 94 percentile
V42 95 percentile

resume highlights, including company name, job titles and promotions

Resume highlight:
IT experience: Presently I am working in one of the software giants in India. You can consider TCS, Infy or Wipro for the record. I am working for the same client from last 4 years and same is number of years of experience I have. In first project I started with a team member and after 12 months of period I became module leader. I worked there for 6 more months and after that I came to US to start a new project. Since then I am working here in US. Earlier I was handling a team of 3 one in Mexico and 2 other in India, but from last month I am handling a team 13, 4 in Mexico and India while 5 here in US.
I got my first promotion in my company after 12 months and since then because of the present situation company has not given any promotion. As far as my rating is concern, it is 4 that is applicable to just 10-15% of the people. I was awarded start of the month couple of times.
Apart from this experience I am green belt in Six Sigma and coached 2 Six sigma green belt projects. I am planning to go for black belt but I don’t think that is possible in next 3-4 months. I am also six sigma trainer for my base branch ie Bangalore center.

In sum total of 4 years of experience with 18 months in India and 30 months in US.

extracurricular involvements

I am one of the event organizers in my company. In college I was captain of college sports team while also a part of quiz team. In my company I am also part of CSR club i.e. social responsibility club that takes care of education of poor kids in Bangalore. In US I have occasional volunteer ship in Pony Event, home building event and public library.

awards, patents, publications, etc...
Well I have nothing to say in this section, but I guess I can mention six green belt sigma certificate. Tried for couple of papers but never tasted success :)

interesting personal facts - countries lived in, challenges faced, unusual interests

Nothing much here as well. I lived in 2 countries, India and US.
Biggest challenge that I faced till now is the setting up of new project in US. I was working at the client location and was getting no help from full time employees because they were under the impression the they will get lay offs once they do the knowledge transfer. Well this was quite a learning experience.
My interests are not unusual, I like what all other people like. I am avid photographer, occasional keyboard player. I have keen interest in statistics, love quizzing and love sports and oh yes, I love coin collection too :).

Well when I started I thought I would be concise but could not control myself.

Target schools:
R1:
1. Wharton
2. Booth
Above two are my dream schools :)

3. Kellog
4.Columbia
5.NYU

R2:
6. Duke
7. Sloan
8. Haas

I am not much inclined towards R2 schools but it all depends on the situation.

Thanks for your time Lisa.
Have a good day.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:11 am
Dear Hemant,

I think you have the foundation for a competitive application to your target schools. However, you will need to put together a strong set of essays, good recommendations, and great interviews to give yourself the best chance. Being from India with IT experience is a common profile in the MBA applicant pool, so you will want to distinguish yourself from others in some way. Finally, I would encourage you to consider adding 1-2 safety schools to your list as a back up plan--perhaps apply to them in round 2 depending on what your round 1 school decisions are? It is always good to have options in case your targeted schools pass on your application.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me