Profile Evaluation

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by Great » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:04 pm
Hi ,

> I am an Canadian MBA aspirant (Rotman,Ivey,Queens)

> Did B.E. From top10 in India
> G.p.a.- 3.5/4
> Work ex--4 years by the time i join, 2 Years in Operations ,2 Years in Corporate Finance(will be applying this year)
> working as AST.Manager(M&A) (in a big MNC )
> Executed deals worth$40 m,$25 m, three more in the
> pipeline.(Primarily in Auto Sector,Energy sector)
> Extra-curicullar--Decent
> Gmat is on the lower side -550
>
i know these schools are not in Top 20-30 but I want to apply in these schools early ,so should i concentrate on my application or take the Gmat again and apply later

Looking forward to your response.

> Regards

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:53 pm
Dear Great,

I think you should retake your GMAT and try to increase your score at least 50 points. Perhaps you can work on the applications at the same time so you will not delay your applications? You want to be at or above the schools' GMAT average if you can to be in the best position.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by Great » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:18 pm
Thanks!Lisa,

I will surely retake the GMAT and i have already started the applications for these schools.

Regards

by Great » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:55 am
Hi Lisa,

I took the GMAT for the second time today and scored 600.
Overall score-600
QA-40
Verbal-33

I have improved 50 points from my last try and more importantly my verbal score improved by 10 points while my quant dropped by 2 points, now what do you think of my chances for the top canadian schools .i have already mentioned my profile in the previous post.

Best Regards

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:43 pm
Congratulations on your new score! A 50 point increase is hard to get. However, your GMAT score is still below the average for your target schools. Since decisions aren't made on GMAT alone, you need to evaluate how you feel the rest of your application will stack up against the competition. Based on what you posted, you have a competitive GPA and solid work experience. What makes the difference for any applicant is how well you put your application together. It is imperative you present a strong rationale for why you want a MBA, how it fits into your overall career plan, and why the school you are applying to is a good match for you. Likewise, you must distinguish yourself from the competition and demonstrate successful leadership experiences/evidence of leadership potential. If you believe you can submit a strong application, then I think you should apply to your schools and see what happens.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

by Great » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:59 pm
Hi Lisa

Thanks! for the reply, ,one more thing ,will adcom see the 50 point increase on a positive note or will it not make much of a difference, i will surely put in a strong application.

Best Regards