Profile evaluation

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Profile evaluation

by SmitaBiswas » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:11 pm
Hi,
I graduated with an engineering degree in Information Tech in 2006.

I have about 5+ years experience in Market Research and am currently a team lead at a Market Research firm. Over the years I have had several roles but my primary responsibilities have revolved around data analysis, project management, business development and internal practice building efforts.

I have a score of 600 in GMAT and I will not be able to take the exam again.

In this regard I have 2 questions

1. Where can I get information on schools that are known for their MBA Marketing Programs?
2. Which schools look like a good fit based on my general profile mentioned above

Thanks in advance for your response.

-Smita

Regards,
Smita

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:4 members

by mbaMissionSusanK » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:57 pm
Hi, Smita,

Thanks for your post. Academically, business schools are going to evaluate you based on your GPA/major and GMAT score (including how you did on the quantitative and verbal sections). You will want to look at schools where your GMAT and GPA are within their range. Schools are also going to look at where you want to go in your career and what experiences you have to date that serve as a foundation for this path. Also, think about what you still need to learn to achieve your future career goals - Why you need an MBA. That will help you narrow down programs as well. I would suggest you look at school sites and some of the ranking sites to get a feel for GMAT/GPA averages and what the programs offer. Also, make a list of the other criteria that are important to you (geography, program size, teaching style, etc.) and compare programs along those measures as well.

Good luck,
Susan Kaplan
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by SmitaBiswas » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:03 pm
Thanks Susan.

So in terms of specifics:

1. Is there a way to find out which schools focus more on the score? For ex. I've hear for some schools are very big on the quant and overall scores?

2. Apart from looking at demographics and rankings, what other resources can i leverage to learn more about the schools? I ask this because for pretty much all schools look great through their websites and admission staff.

Thanks and have a happy holiday!

Smita

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:4 members

by mbaMissionSusanK » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:04 pm
Hi, Smita,

Most GMAT programs are going to focus on your overall score and quantitative and verbal section scores. Yes, your quantitative score and previous coursework are important given the quantitative focus of MBA programs. Some programs such as Booth are considered more quantitative focused, so there will be more emphasis there.

You can attend on campus events for these programs to get a better feel and meet actual students. You can also speak with alumni to understand their experiences. Read interviews with admissions officers and faculty on our site. Dig into the ranking sites to get a feel for what programs offer. You can also look at message boards to see what others are saying about the programs. There are a lot of ways to learn about the programs, but make sure you first know exactly what you are looking for in your target program.

Susan