Profile evaluation - 780 gmat - HSW

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation - 780 gmat - HSW

by jsee » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:21 am
Hi experts,

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am white/hispanic, 26-year old male born and raised in the US looking to apply to H/S/W along with Booth and Columbia in round 2 - H & W being my top choices.

GMAT Score: 780 - Q50/V47/IR7

Undergraduate education:
Completely unknown small private university in the Northeast
Majors - Economics; Mathematical Finance (minor in Math)
GPA - 4.0

Work experience:
28 months as of November working in sell-side Equity Research at a large multinational bank (despite its size and breadth, it is not very well-known and doesn't even come close to competing with the conventional investment banks).

Career goals/Why GMAT:
I'm ideally looking to stay in finance but transition to a buy-side role at a large hedge fund (would settle for an asset manager or a private equity fund). Up until this point, I've been rather unsuccessful in making this transition without an MBA. Obviously, if the stars align and I could make this transition without going to business school, then I most definitely would - but that happening seems more and more unlikely.

Extra Curriculars:
I have a very skewed work/life balance so this is something that has been put on the back burner since I left undergrad. I'm sure if you twisted my arm I could list a few, but they would all be stretches and require some massaging at best.

So I guess my questions are:
Given my current situation, there is little benefit at all career-wise in attending a school outside of the ones listed above. What are my chances of getting into H/W? the others mentioned?
Obviously my ECs are going to be my biggest weakness - is this something that could/would be overlooked given my situation?
Lastly, would I realistically be looking at scholarships if my application were to be accepted at the schools mentioned?

Thanks for the help!

JC

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:31 pm
Hi JC,

Given your career goals, you shouldn't look much beyond the schools you're targeting. Beyond HSW, somewhat Booth, and few other top schools, recruitment in these industries fall sharply.

You've brilliant GMAT score and GPA, which no doubt is helpful, but because these schools receive lots of top scores, you need to also matter in other aspects: evidence of at least normal career progression, leadership, problem solving, some outlier achievement, some personal story etc. With some of these, you can have a good shot at your target schools.

ECs matter to the extent of showing a well-rounded personality, and here quality trumps quantity. It's good to have one or two, especially when you're applying to highly competitive programs. Think of one, if not two, thing outside work that has deeply interested you and where you made some tangible contribution. Your super-high academic stats, in absence of ECs and other things, otherwise may portray a skewed profile. (Remember, an MBA program is more a managerial/ leadership program than an academic.)

As far as scholarships are concerned, GMAT (among other factors) does play a role.
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:51 pm
Thanks for sharing.

In addition to the advices above, in the absence of strong extracurriculars, it would be better for you to play up collaborative experiences at work, showing your ability to engage people will be important to complement your strong academic potential.

All the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:54 am
So I think the comments you've seen thus far are on track- but I would say that looking at a few other M7 programs like Columbia and Booth and even Kellogg could broaden your chances as you never know which school your application will best resonate with. I would work on HOW you discuss your EC impact- you want to make sure you tell your experiences in the best possible way and there are definitely strategies to improve this. I'd you'd like a free consult with us to learn how we could help, go to this link: https://stratusprep.com/free-consult/