Profile Evaluation 2011

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Profile Evaluation 2011

by islandgurl918 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:00 am
I'm looking to gauge the realistic chances of getting acceptance into some of my target schools when I apply in R1 this year for entry in Fall 2012. 1 and have listed below my work and volunteer experience, as well as important stats.

Graduated UC Berkeley with a degree in Mass Communications, GPA of 3.5
Worked for Nielsen Mobile-Production Associate (07-08)
LookSmart (Account Coordinator then Promoted to Account Manager of Western Region) (08-09)
Pandora Radio (Campaign Manager-Inside Sales) (09-Present)

GMAT: 610 (re took a second time, and this was my score)
Marketing Chair-Northern Ca Chapter of 85 Broads; I help to promote and market all our events, geared towards professional women in all industries.
Other stats: 24 year old Chinese-Fijian American, female

I would like to apply to these schools based on my campus visits and their various offerings and programs:

1) USC
2) NYU
3) Georgetown
4) university of maryland smith
5) Duke Early Action (this is my #1 choice)
6)Columbia Executive MBA (part-time)

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:14 pm
Hi, and thank you for your question.

I think you have several strengths to your profile but I do have a couple of concerns as well. In terms of strengths, you have good grades in a field that you have continued to work in, and a history of promotions and increased responsibility at work, showing both depth and growth in your field. It is also a more unusual field for business school which will help differentiate you. You also have some involvement in the community outside of work, in a leadership role, which will be viewed favorably. Finally, your ethnic background should make you stand out as well.

Let me describe my concerns though as well, so you can try to lessen their impact. I do have a mild concern about the frequency with which you have changed jobs - 3 jobs (4 positions) in 4 years is a bit high...but on the other hand you have 2 years with your current role which shows stability, and your job changes have all been within an industry, so my concern here is very mild. I would suggest writing your career essay in a way that shows how each job built on each other, which I suspect won't be difficult to do. You also do not state any career goal, so be sure to demonstrate a logical flow from your past to your future, with the MBA as the bridge, and articulate clearly what you want to do with the MBA. One other area to be aware of is that your profile comes off as very marketing-intensive (between work and your involvement in 85 Broads), which is good in that it shows depth, but can also present a problem because it doesn't give you opportunities in essays to showcase different sides of your personality. As you select your essay topics, think hard about other ways to show different dimensions to your experience; remember that the admissions committee wants to learn about you as a person, not just you as a professional.

Finally, my biggest concern given your school choices is your GMAT. 610 is very low for most of the schools on your list. I don't know about the Columbia executive program, but other than that, your score falls in the middle 80% only for Smith. It puts you in the bottom 10% for all of the other schools which I think creates a real uphill battle for you. Have you had tutoring? If you can pull it up even 50 points, that puts you in the middle 80% range for several of the other schools.

Best of luck,

Jessica
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php