Profile Eval./Reality Check

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Eval./Reality Check

by joeschmoe28 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:35 am
White, Male, 25
GPA: 3.57 at top ranked small liberal arts college, Political Science major, took stats/econometrics/multivariable calc.
GMAT/GRE: 750 (49/44); 1520 (Q790/V730)
Work Experience: 2 years in private sector economic consulting for a fairly well known firm, 1 year in international development work living in West Africa doing research and monitoring/evaluation work for a social enterprise NGO. Internships during college were with academic research program and policy research for a large city council.
Extra Curricular: active involvement and leadership in extracurriculars during college, but not much leadership experience in this regard since college due to working long hours in consulting and then living abroad for the last year.

I'd like to do a dual degree program of MBA and Masters in International Affairs or Public Policy with the goal being to get into either non-profit or social enterprise consulting post-grad school, with a specific focus on international development.

Currently I'm thinking:
-Stanford (MBA/MPP)
-Columbia (MBA/MIA)
-Yale (MBA/MIA)
-Wharton/Johns Hopkins SAIS (MBA/MIA)
-MIT Sloan/Harvard HKS (MBA/MPP)

I think that my work experience is pretty solid and that having spent a year living and working abroad will be something that makes me stand out. My test scores/grades are solid but basically on profile (especially given the demographic I'm in). One thing I'm worried about my lack of extracurricular leadership experience since my undergrad. Are the programs that I'm targeting within the realm of possibility or am I setting myself up for disappointment by being unrealistic?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:9 members

by mbaMissionJessica » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:16 pm
Hi Joeschmoe, and thanks for your inquiry.

I agree with parts of your assessment at the end of your inquiry, but not entirely. Your work experience and international experience are certainly strengths (with the caveat to remember that what's really important is what you accomplished in those roles, not just the fact of having them.) But I disagree with your assessment of your academics as "on point" - I think your GMAT score in particular is a positive differentiator.

Your lack of extracurriculars since college is a bit of a concern, somewhat offset by your having spent a year in a social enterprise. But let me give you a couple of other ways to think about rounding out your profile in this area. First, if there was an activity in college you particularly enjoyed, you may want to consider finding a way to re-ignite that activity, even with your limited hours. By picking up an old activity, rather than starting a new one, you add some depth to your connection with the activity. Secondly, look at how you naturally spend your free time anyway, and find a way to do the same thing but with a social service bent. For example, if you are a runner, maybe find an organization that helps kids learn to run (or there's an organization in certain cities that organizes group runs for homeless men to give them a sense of accomplishment). Finding community work through something you already enjoy doing makes it more likely that you will want to be involved, while at the same time making you more fully engaged in it (which can lead to better essays). Finally, think more broadly than just "volunteer work for an organization". Is there a younger cousin that your mentor? Did you help your brother through a difficult time? Did you learn a language in order to have a conversation with your grandparents? These are just examples, but "personal story" essays that show your engagement with and connection to the broader world outside of work can help round out and offer depth to your profile.

I hope that helps! Best of luck,

Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
Jessica Shklar
Senior Consultant
mbaMission (www.mbamission.com)
646-485-8844

Sign up for a free consultation with mbaMission, the only admissions consulting firm that leading GMAT prep companies, ManhattanGMAT and Kaplan, recommend.
www.mbamission.com/consult.php