Profile Eval for JD/MBA Candidate

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Eval for JD/MBA Candidate

by hooray » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:27 am
Hello,

I am considering applying to an elite JD/MBA profile and would less to assess my chances. I think I have the "numbers" for admission into a competitive JD program, however I am worried that I have shortcomings for the MBA admissions part. I'm worried as coming off as a typical asian-american stats applicant with stellar grades and might be perceived as too analytical/bookish.

I plan on applying to joint degrees at Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Penn, and Yale. I currently work for a top litigation/economics consulting firm and would eventually like to start my own litigation consulting company. I think that by getting a JD I would understand lawyer-speak better, and an MBA would help tremendously in founding my own business.

UG: B.A. from Columbia Univ. in Economics
GPA: 3.95/4.00
GMAT: 770 [LSAT:176]
W.E: 2 full years at NERA (3 upon matriculation)
E.C: Nothing spectacular. Involved with 2 major ECs during college but have continued after graduation. Was in college orchestra and now in community orchestra. President of a homeless shelter staffing organization in college and continue to take an active role currently.
MBA Plans: Want to eventually start my own litigation consulting firm after returning to my current firm post-MBA. Or maybe join another start-up, but eventual goal is entrepreneurship.

As you can see, profile resembles a typical asian-american candidate, and I'm worried that I might not distinguish myself from the crowd. Should I focus on easier programs such as Duke/Cornell?

Thank you!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by AppReview » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:14 am
Hi,

Your stats are great for admissions to the most competitive programs i.e. the universities you are targeting. Please find below a detailed analysis:

1. Your scores are great, top 1 percentile (of course even better in LSAT) and thus you are pretty much a SI (shoe in)/GP (Great Prospect) as given below:

Harvard Law: SI HBS: GP
Yale Law: GP Yale SOM: SI
Stanford Law: GP Stanford GSB: GP
Columbia Law: SI CBS: SI
(Pretty Much as you are a Columbia undergrad and would be able to get great recommendations from some good Columbia Professors)
Penn Law: SI Wharton: GP
Duke Law: SI Duke Fuqua: SI
Cornell Law: SI Johnson: SI

You should manage good scholarships as well in both program.s

(Please note for MBA programs, your GP could also mean SI based on overall profile. We can never predict the outcome 100% and so can't you, but this is what we think should be the case)

2. Your GPA is near perfect and this is going to be very very positive for both Law and Business schools. The elite programs you are targeting look at strong GPAs, especially for law. This should really be very influential to put the ball in your court.

3. Work Experience is very good as well. NERA is well known and the kind of work you did there would determine how you are perceived by the B School.

4. Your ECs are strong and according to us, you don't pass off as a typical Asian American candidate. You of course have the great scores, but your ECs seem very solid as well. It has a good mix of uniques elements of philantropy and recreational activities. The only hint of leadership is the Presidential post, and this could be a worry for MBA courses as your leadership and impact examples are less.

What we suggest

Typically, all JD/MBA programs allow you to apply, one year into one of the programs as well. This is normally JD (and should be too). The benfit we see for you to follow this approach rather than go in for a dual application right from the beginning is:

1. You would have no difficulty getting into the JD program. A dual degree application for the B-School MIGHT get rejected and this would mean re-application after graduation and working. Re-apps aren't a good idea.
2. You can take an active participation in the initiatives on campus during the JD program, and even try to become an active leader in some of them. This would strengthen your resume for the MBa application.
3. You would have made a solid impression on your profs, as we can see you are intellectually very solid. You can then put in solid recommendations from professors, even those who taught you at law school and also take classes at the b school, and thus impress the adcom at the b school.

We don't anticipate much problem with your applications. We think your scores should be able to overshadow and compensate for lack of EC/Leadership. We do however, highly recommend following the route as suggested above.

All the best. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Team AppReview
AppReview - Realizing your potential, transforming your dreams

A unique student collaborative venture - We are an eclectic mix of students having confirmed admission offers at Yale, Stanford, Cornell, Duke, Dartmouth, LSE, Cambridge, Imperial College, among others. Offering admissions consultancy options with the flexibility of choosing a custom mentor for all types of graduate and professional studies.

Follow us on Twitter | E-Mail: [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by hooray » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:48 am
Wow... thank you very much for the in-depth review.

Cheers!