profile eval and GMAT score question?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

profile eval and GMAT score question?

by gogetter08 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:18 pm
I am 30/M/Indian, electronics engr by profession, 6 yrs work experience after my masters in US and undergrad(at the best Indian school)

Extra curriculars:
- 3 yrs business experience managing my own appartment building
- active volunteer at a non-profit for 5 yrs
- avid marathon runner

My GMAT score is 730(Q51, V38).

I plan to apply to the top MBA schools and I am aware that as an indian male, I would encounter cut-throat competition from so many brilliant people around. So I didnt want to take any chances and was prepared thoroughly for a high score. I feel terrible about my score because I was well on my way to scoring in the 740-760 range and under-delivered.

Since a good verbal score is of importance for an engineer, do you recommend retaking the GMAT? Also, what do you think of my chances of getting into HBS, Sloan, stanford? Any candid feedback will be highly appreciated. Thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:20 pm
Hi GG,

Thanks for your post. As you correctly pointed out, you are in a very competitive applicant pool, so its very difficult to access your candidacy... even though you have strong credentials.

I dont believe adding a few points to your GMAT score is going to make a significant difference in your application. 730 is above average for all schools listed below.

Instead, really focus on your essays and how you are different from the 1000s of applicants with similar profiles. Your ECs sound very interesting and could be one point of differentiation. Really focus on what skills, traits, interests make you unique.

And to give yourself an ever slight advantage, I strongly encourage you to apply in R1 for your top choice schools.

Good luck,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by gogetter08 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:29 am
Thanks NP for your feedback.
I read in some blog (so not sure how true) that 730 is the avg score for Indian male,hence y question about Gmat.

Also, for people with masters degree, which GPA is considered - grad or undergrad? it probably is not importatn for people with lot of work experience.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:44 am
Hi,

I am sure the score is somewhere around there. However, having 10-30 points over the 'average' will not have a significant impact on your candidacy.

Good luck!

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep