Profile Assessment - Second MBA

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Assessment - Second MBA

by sharan29 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:28 pm
Hi,

Please review my profile below and let me know my chances for getting into ISB.

27/Female

10th - 90.4 %
12th - 82.2%
Chemical Engineering (Panjab University, Chandigarh) - 60.3%
PGDM (FORE School of Management, Delhi) - 2.4/4 CGPA

Work ex - 3.5 years at Deloitte (Software Asset Management Consultant)

I plan to take GMAT in November and apply for R2 of ISB.

Deloitte gives a sabbatical for MBA along with a year contract after MBA. Also, Deloitte will be paying for most of fee for MBA, which is my main reason for applying to ISB

ECA:
National Level footballer in U-17 Women
NCC Level A certificate
Good inter-personal skills
Member of Placement Committee in FORE.
Have undertaken various NGO projects with Lions Club and Alliance Club.

Let me know how can I improve my chances of getting into ISB please, also will second MBA be an issue

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by GyanOne » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:22 am
sharan29 wrote:Hi,

27/Female

10th - 90.4 %
12th - 82.2%

Deloitte gives a sabbatical for MBA along with a year contract after MBA. Also, Deloitte will be paying for most of fee for MBA, which is my main reason for applying to ISB

ECA:
NCC Level A certificate

Let me know how can I improve my chances of getting into ISB please, also will second MBA be an issue
Hi Sharan29,

Your profile is fine. To improve your chances of getting in ISB, aim for a minimum GMAT score of 700. Second, please introspect to provide the adcom with a solid reason for a second MBA. Furthermore, focus on your achievements and leadership experiences at work in your essays and application, to strengthen your candidature as a future women leader.

Feel free to ask any further/ specific questions you have.

Team GyanOne

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:23 am
Thanks for sharing.

Play up your outside activities, such as being a National level footballer. You may use this to highlight your personal strengths that are also useful in your career. This would help distinguish your profile.

You would also need to be clear how a second MBA would help you achieve what the first one didn't. Showing clearly why you need another MBA is an important topic to address.

Wish you al the best!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Edison@VeritasPrep » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:59 am
You may also find the blog entry below helpful:

Playing Up Athletic Feats for the MBA Applications

For the MBA admissions game, applicants often feel that the content is limited to their professional and academic highlights. However, impressive personal details such as athletic achievements and backgrounds also come in handy when building up your application profile. Just as a beauty pageant contestant would want to impress the judges of her intelligence aside from her physical beauty, an MBA applicant will do well to win admiration in different aspects of his personality as well.

I know you are applying for a top MBA program, (and not an NBA team!) but sharing that you are part of the national team or that you hold regional age-level records in your chosen sport will still help. Apart from differentiating you from applicants with the same industry, it can also be used to show consistent character traits that have been common to your successes, which you will also bring as you move up to the big league. For example, you may highlight the leadership skills and drive that have allowed you to excel as captain of your soccer team, as the same ones that have been key to your success as a project manager. This would then help you be more convincing when you say that these will also enable you to do it again at the prestigious MBA program you are targeting.

Likewise, accomplishments in competitive sports can also be effective in strengthening your personal brand. It could be an additional illustration of your reputation as an achiever or as a team player. Sharing interesting personal anecdotes of how an event changed your mindset or helped you grow as a person from this context is also another way of leveraging your athletic background. Rich materials abound in this field to demonstrate your ability to collaborate with teammates or your resilience in overcoming personal setbacks, such as injuries or failures. One inherent advantage is that these stories are very easy to visualize (like an ESPN highlight reel), and readers can somehow relate to the highs and lows you share. Thus, it becomes an effective set-up for presenting lessons you learned and how this has helped you become the person you are. Aside from strengthening your message by demonstrating it across various contexts, this also presents you as a multi-faceted individual.

Lastly, your passion for sports, when presented properly, can be an effective "ice-breaker" for your interviews or to help you build relationships with your peers. Sharing a keen interest in a particular sport can develop rapport. Being associated with positive qualities such as being strong, agile or graceful can only help you get picked for that coveted slot at the top MBA program.
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by mcbMcK » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:29 pm
Consider the following points sharan29:
  1. I am assuming here that there is no gap between undergrad and 1st MBA. The grades at both the places seem average (below?) though. This means that GMAT becomes all the more important so you are doing the right thing by giving yourself ample time to hit it out of the park.
  2. The nature of your work is not important. While the sabbatical thing is great but it is also critical to know what role will you go back to. If its the same as you are doing today, then that's not great from am ambition perspective. So the pre and post MBA story connection is vital for you.
  3. While your ECs look impressive but it appears most of them are in the past? That can take away some sheen on this arc. The time is fairly limited to work something on this aspect - but if you can, do it. Other than that, your best bet is to put in a strong application in the limited time available.
  4. Finally, if MBA is an important consideration, applying to just one school is usually not a great idea. Financial considerations notwithstanding, you should still try to expand the target set some.
Hope this helps.

Cheers,
MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by apphelp » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:20 pm
sharan29 wrote:Hi,

27/Female

10th - 90.4 %
12th - 82.2%

ECA:
NCC Level A certificate

Your overall candidature is decent. Try to get a 700+ on GMAT and you should be good.

There are many applicants applying to ISB for their second MBA. You just need to defend the need of second MBA be it brand, alumni network, industry connects etc.

Your extra currics especially football and NCC experience make the profile diverse. So, use them well. You may want to write few lines on each.

That said, just focus on getting the best possible GMAT score and thereafter start writing the essays.

Apphelp Team
Apphelp : India's # 1 MBA admissions consultancy

Confused about schools? Need help with Essay Review? Need mock interviews?
All these questions have a single answer : APPHELP (apphelp.co.in)
Phone: +91 9871354580
Blog: https://www.blog.apphelp.co.in