Profile Advise for cancer survivor

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Advise for cancer survivor

by Maverickx8 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:11 am
Hi,
First of all thank you for taking out the time to look at my profile. Just a little bit about myself, so you can get a better idea of where I am coming from:

- Undergrad UC Berkeley, life sciences GPA 3.46
- Grad School in International Relations Yale
- Work 3 yrs (2 yrs with Oil Company and 1 yr with small consulting firm)
- Interned for World Health Organization over summer.
- Last year of graduate school was employed by United Nations to work on their development report
- Gmat 1st try 590 (diagnosed with cancer while studying still went for it), 2nd try 540, passed out during the last section and didn't even finish.
- Volunteer at hospitals in U.S, 100+ hrs
- Refugee camp work during Afgan crisis and recent earth quake in South Asia.
- Started a chemo buddy program in the hospital where I was treated
- Working to launch info program for my type of cancer with some doctors, as it is rare
- Currently involved in health advocacy programs for HIV+ women in India

Schools I want to attend: Yale SOM and Georgetown.

Questions: I am presuming my low score is a problem in the GMAT so I can re-take it if needed (would you suggest some course). Veritas, PR?
I did interview with Gtown last year before being diagnosed so I did a self initiated interview. Do I have a chance with current profile? Will school care about my past health?

Thank you to everyone who reads this and gives input.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:51 pm
I am so sorry to hear about your health problems and find it completely admirable that you have persevered in spite of your challenges. I think that the schools will find be impressed by this as well. It definitely shows strength of character. In this way, the schools will care about your health and I feel it will be an important part of your story. I suggest you retake the GMAT. Although your scores are certainly understandable, you might as well do everything you can to put together the strongest possible package. It seems like you are capable of a higher score, so I would go for it. There are a lot of great GMAT resources - you should ask on the GMAT part of the forum. Of course, I think Manhattan GMAT is a great course and I am sure that a lot people in the forum will agree.

I think you have a very good chance at Georgetown.
Good luck!
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

by Maverickx8 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:14 am
Thank you for the encouragement. I think I will apply to Gtown with the current scores and then do a score update. Applying early might help. Stacy how can I setup something with your consulting service? Maybe an hour or two to look at very specific things. I live in New Haven so Manhattan GMAT isnt an option but Veritas and PR are the ones I will go look at. Maybe if you have heard something about any of these two let me know. I have posted a question in the general forum as well. Appreciate all the help.

by mba2010 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:26 pm
Maverickx8 wrote:Thank you for the encouragement. I think I will apply to Gtown with the current scores and then do a score update. Applying early might help. Stacy how can I setup something with your consulting service? Maybe an hour or two to look at very specific things. I live in New Haven so Manhattan GMAT isnt an option but Veritas and PR are the ones I will go look at. Maybe if you have heard something about any of these two let me know. I have posted a question in the general forum as well. Appreciate all the help.
Manhattan also has their online live course which is very good, I'm taking it

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by cgiles01 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:04 pm
Maverick,

Go on to https://www.stacyblackman.com/Schedule.htm and fill out the form. Someone from Stacy Blackman will call you within a day or two.

Chris
Giles