Princeton RC - function

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

Princeton RC - function

by karthikpandian19 » Sat May 26, 2012 1:50 pm
Despite quantum leaps in transportation technology in the twentieth century, laws regarding cargo found at sea have remained virtually unchanged since the seventeenth century. Flotsam (floating cargo from a shipwrecked vessel), jetsam (sunken cargo thrown overboard to lighten a distressed vessel), and lagan (discarded underwater cargo marked with a buoy for subsequent retrieval) all belong, according to maritime law, to the original owner no matter how long the cargo remain in the water. Discarded cargo of any type can be held for salvage; the owner may then claim it if they pay an equitable reward to the finder. If, after a reasonable time, the owners fail to appear, the salvager may claim the cargo as his or her own.
The advent of the airplane brought about a new legal dilemma: were salvage laws applicable to cargo retrieved from an airplane downed at sea? According to judicial decisions in the United States, such cargo is placed under appropriate maritime laws as long as it is found in navigable waters. But this should come as no surprise to students of American jurisprudence, since previous United States court rulings have absurdly applied salvage laws to money found on a body floating in a lake. No doubt future American judges will allow cargo salvaged in space to fall under these same laws.

The primary function of the second paragraph of the passage is to

develop further a theory described in the first paragraph

present an alternative to the view expressed in the first paragraph

rebut criticisms presented in the first paragraph

raise questions about the implications of the first paragraph

urge legal theorists to reconsider current salvage laws

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:143 members

by Kasia@EconomistGMAT » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:12 am
In order to select the right answer you need to perform the Initial Reading - read only the first few sentences of each of the paragraphs, later exclude the answer choices which seem irrelevant.

Also it is vital to remember that the question asks us to define the function of the second paragraph in reference to the first paragraph and the whole text. Therefore, the answers which speak about the functions of the whole text should be eliminated.
Kasia
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT - the #1 rated GMAT course

"¢ If you found my post helpful, please click the "thank" button and/or follow me.

"¢ Take a 7 day free trial and find out why Economist GMAT is the highest rated GMAT course - https://gmat.economist.com/

"¢ Read GMAT Economist reviews - https://reviews.beatthegmat.com/economis ... mat-course

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:53 am
So, the answer can be like this:

The primary function of the second paragraph of the passage is to

develop further a theory described in the first paragraph .....not correct as it develops the contradiction

present an alternative to the view expressed in the first paragraph .....Maybe

rebut criticisms presented in the first paragraph ...... Opposite of the statement purpose

raise questions about the implications of the first paragraph .....Must be right

urge legal theorists to reconsider current salvage laws.....irrelevant

Is the answer is D?
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by myselfhari » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:56 am
I will also go with D, as it seems to be the most appropriate one in this case.

What is the OA ??

Legendary Member

by karthikpandian19 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:36 am
OA is D
myselfhari wrote:I will also go with D, as it seems to be the most appropriate one in this case.

What is the OA ??
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---