Preventing commercial plan crashes

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:47 am
newton9 wrote:P: Pilot error contributes to majority of crashes. Airlines upgraded training programs by increasing hours of class room instruction and comm. skills. These measures cannot compensate for lack of actual flying exp.

C: Airlines should rethink their training approach.

My paraphrase: Measures employed cannot compensate for lack of actual flying time.

Here I am struck between [spoiler]C & D[/spoiler]. I want to make sure my analysis of C & D is accurate.

C: Since no of airline crashes are going to decrease if pilot training programs focus on actual flying times, this is going to strengthen the argument. But, this is not a necessary assumption.

D: Actual flying time is not an important contributor to pilot error --> then the conclusion that airlines should rethink their approach is significantly weakened.

OA is D, but not able to pick D in less than 2 min.
hi newton just look at the link between lack of flying time and the conclusion . Just because the initial plan did not consider flying time , the schoold decide to revamp the approach .
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by artistocrat » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:55 pm
Ron, please correct me if I am wrong, but I want to say that "number" of plane crashes is not the same as the rate of plane crashes due to pilot error (2/3). Is it safe to say that such a comparison is misleading, and hence a reason to rule out C? For example, the number of plane crashes might depend on the number of flights; perhaps the season is busy, or not. At any rate, something other than flight time could cause a change in the "number" of accidents, no?

Legendary Member

by tanviet » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:49 am
artistocrat wrote:Ron, please correct me if I am wrong, but I want to say that "number" of plane crashes is not the same as the rate of plane crashes due to pilot error (2/3). Is it safe to say that such a comparison is misleading, and hence a reason to rule out C? For example, the number of plane crashes might depend on the number of flights; perhaps the season is busy, or not. At any rate, something other than flight time could cause a change in the "number" of accidents, no?
the conclusion is to reduce pilot error not to reduce crash and C is wrong.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:27 am
artistocrat wrote:Ron, please correct me if I am wrong, but I want to say that "number" of plane crashes is not the same as the rate of plane crashes due to pilot error (2/3). Is it safe to say that such a comparison is misleading, and hence a reason to rule out C?
you could rule out (c) on those grounds, yes. nicely done.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by artistocrat » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:27 am
Thanks Ron.

Just in case you guys are not aware of it, check out Thursdays with Ron.

https://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm

They are excellent.