Preparation Class

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Preparation Class

by bcg4muva » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:25 am
Has anyone taken a GMAT prep courses or comment on the best prep course? I'm exploring Manhattan's 9-week online course and Kaplan's one-month live class. Does anyone have experience with these programs (pro's/con's, precautions).

I took the GMAT one-week ago and scored a 570. I was very dissappointed. My practice scores ranged from 570 - 730. I studied for approx. two months on my own prior. Quantitative PS and DS are my weakest areas.

Do you recommend course/no course and which course is best?

Thanks.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

Re: Preparation Class

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:45 pm
bcg4muva wrote:Has anyone taken a GMAT prep courses or comment on the best prep course? I'm exploring Manhattan's 9-week online course and Kaplan's one-month live class. Does anyone have experience with these programs (pro's/con's, precautions).

I took the GMAT one-week ago and scored a 570. I was very dissappointed. My practice scores ranged from 570 - 730. I studied for approx. two months on my own prior. Quantitative PS and DS are my weakest areas.

Do you recommend course/no course and which course is best?

Thanks.
It should be no surprise that I'm going to recommend the Kaplan course!

However, if you have a choice between a 1 month course (twice a week) and a 2 month course (once a week), I'd definitely go with the latter, as it gives you more time between sessions to assimilate what you've learned. With either course you get 3 months of access to all of our resources, but if the more spread out course is available in your area it's the one that I'd recommend.

I'm not going to use this thread as a forum for selling the Kaplan course, but if you have any specific questions about its advantages feel free to PM or email me.

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by frantastic » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:42 pm
I don't think a one-month course is long enough. You need time to learn the strategies, master the fundamentals, and bring both together to nail the GMAT. A two-month class would definitely be better.

Classroom or online...depends on you and how well you learn in a class setting with others vs. on the computer by yourself.

I personally would suggest Princeton Review over Kaplan. I liked their approach far better and the tests are much more accurate, more like the real thing. They give you the Official Guide, btw, so if you don't already have it, wait until you pick a course before you buy it. It's a MUST.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:614 members
GMAT Score:800

by Stuart@KaplanGMAT » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:04 pm
frantastic wrote:I don't think a one-month course is long enough. You need time to learn the strategies, master the fundamentals, and bring both together to nail the GMAT. A two-month class would definitely be better.

Classroom or online...depends on you and how well you learn in a class setting with others vs. on the computer by yourself.

I personally would suggest Princeton Review over Kaplan. I liked their approach far better and the tests are much more accurate, more like the real thing. They give you the Official Guide, btw, so if you don't already have it, wait until you pick a course before you buy it. It's a MUST.
Kaplan also comes with the OG, so no need to buy it if you're taking either course.

Stuart Kovinsky | Kaplan GMAT Faculty | Toronto

Kaplan Exclusive: The Official Test Day Experience | Ready to Take a Free Practice Test? | Kaplan/Beat the GMAT Member Discount
BTG100 for $100 off a full course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:02 pm
Most companies hold free events that allow you to check things out before you decide. You can actually attend the first class session of our classes for free to see if you like the format (and the instructors - which is the most important thing, actually). See our web site for details.

I assume that Kaplan and Princeton Review both hold free events as well, so check them out! I agree with Stuart that it's better to spread the work out over two months if you can - there's a TON to learn and you don't want to cram.

Also, when making your decision, try to see the specific teacher(s) you would have in action (at these free events); it's very important that you connect with the teaching style and feel you can learn from that person who's going to be teaching you!
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me