Prep-T1-Q46

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Prep-T1-Q46

by kaijen » Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:52 am
Test1-46. (26975-!-item-!-188;#058&003041)

The continental United States receives an average of 30 inches of precipitation a year; transpiration from soil and from plants returns approximately 21 of the 30 inches to the atmosphere, while the balance of 9 inches contributes to the flow of streams and rivers.

(A) transpiration from soil and from plants returns approximately 21 of the 30 inches to the atmosphere, while the balance of 9 inches contributes to the flow
(B) even though transpiration from soil and from plants returns approximately 21 of the 30 inches to the atmosphere, the remainder of 9 inches contribute to the flowing
(C) although transpiration from soil and from plants return approximately 21 of the 30 inches to the atmosphere, the balance of 9 inches contribute to the flowing
(D) with transpiration from soil and from plants to return approximately 21 inches to the atmosphere, the rest of the 9 inches contributes to the flow
(E) as transpiration from soil and from plants return approximately 21 of the 30 inches to the atmosphere, the rest of the 9 inches contribute to the flow

Ans: [spoiler](A)[/spoiler]

What's wrong with [spoiler](D)[/spoiler] ? Is there anything wrong with "With"?
Last edited by kaijen on Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by camitava » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:33 am
Kaijen this is really a good example of using punctuation. As in the question there is a semicolon and after that our intended part is getting started, we cannot use any connector or idiom (like All though, Even though or so) in front of it. So the only option left is A. Right? Hey Kaijen pls give a reply to ensure that u have understood! :wink: :)
Correct me If I am wrong

Regards,

Amitava

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

My opinion

by jangojess » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:49 am
here the subject is transpiration and so the verb shld be sing, which will eliminate C, D & E. In B we have even though connector but the structure of rest of the sentence does not match with even though connector... For even though it shld be like...even though X happened something opposite resulted..here we dont have such a structure in B...so remaining A is the ans.....Amitava ur reasoning is also right...Kudos man!!! u really rock...need ur help in the whole of SC part...can u pls reply to Brutal SC questions i've posted???? :(
Trying hard!!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by veenu08 » Wed May 08, 2013 10:08 am
hello can some one please explain me the post of camitava