Pre MBA Course Recommendations

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Pre MBA Course Recommendations

by NeilWatson » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:42 am
Hello,

I would like to build an alternate transcript and am having problems deciding what I should take. I know UCLA extension courses are reputable, however the course that I thought would be best is already full. Can anyone provide any other good institutions/courses that I should consider. I notice that UCLA also has a Business Economics course that is still open but I am not sure how that will be viewed by admissions.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Charlie142536 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:12 pm
Hi there @NeilWatson,

I was curious if you ever got any feedback on courses to take? I am in your situation now and would love to hear whether you got some good advice and what you settled on? Many thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:10 am
This is an old thread but since the topic comes up so much, I'm happy to weigh in on it here. Taking additional graded coursework is a good idea, but I'm not sure I'd see that as an "alternative transcript", since it doesn't blot out any earlier sins, but more like an additional piece of crucial information about your academic capabilities, maturity and commitment. Definitely take highly reputable courses, such as the UCLA Anderson or Haas extension courses, which have demands and give grades. But do this in a systematic way, ideally after you have an idea of your strengths and weaknesses regarding the GMAT. Do you have a mediocre Q in the GMAT and not enough quant coursework in undergrad? Take the courses you will need to build up that capacity -- core stuff like calc and stats. Do you have strong Q but low Verbal? Work on business writing courses. Are you making a transition from software engineering to management? Try Harvard's HBX CORe, a full program that is specifically designed for this purpose.

Again, it will definitely add value that you get 4.0 in these classes, but it won't efface four years of partying in undergrad, so an optional essay will be in your future. One last point here: PLAN AHEAD. As the original poster noted, these courses fill up fast, so deciding to enroll in June when you're applying in September may leave you out in the cold. Best to work on this starting a year before your deadlines.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me