Practice Tests & Time Tips? getting really discouraged

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
What are some good practice tests online that I can take? free practice tests...

I have done 2 kaplan practice tests (from the Book/CD). So far I haven't broken a 600 with Kaplan and it is already discouraging me! I study all my mistakes, have gone through the OG once and have started a second run through.

I keep dropping the ball when it comes to timing and stupid mistakes. When I am casually doing the OG, I sit down to do sets of 45-50 questions each sitting, and do fairly well. Then, I go to the online CATs and Quizzes... bombing them all... :cry:

With Quant, I usually am on a roll for the first questions, then lose 5 minutes on one or two questions in the middle which creates a massive dash for the finish in my last 4 or 5 questions... With Verbal, I get through without worrying about time, but am still building my stamina for reading comp. I have up and down days with sentence correction, but flash cards and massive practice are making that the least worrisome part of verbal for me.

I did the Manhattan GMAT free CAT and got a 610. That is the only score above 600 I have so far.

My target score is 700 or above. Obviously, I have a LOT of improving to do. :(

What are some good online practice tests I can do? What are the best for realist measure for the actual GMAT?

Anyone have good Time Trimming Tips? :?:

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by bilko » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:18 am
There is a free one on Princeton Review's Web site: https://www.princetonreview.com/business ... ?uidbadge=

From everything I have read in the forums, Kaplan is both a lot harder than the real GMAT, and the scoring algorithm is off, so your Kaplan scores will be a lot lower than what you can really expect. Take a deep breath and shrug it off...it's not you, it's Kaplan.

Manhattan GMAT is supposed to be harder too, but more accurate than Kaplan. The most accurate is of course GMATPrep, the official ones. Have you taken those? They're free on www.mba.com. I would do those along with PR's test, and then I would get the PR book that has the DVD (Cracking the GMAT) so you can get four more tests. You take them online but you need the DVD to gain access. Plus it has video lessons, including timing stuff. I found it really useful.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by MTlookingforMHA » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:40 am
Are you timing yourself when you do the OG questions? I haven't been doing that, and it really shows when I take a CAT. Next time around, I am going to be timing myself on almost everything.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by RevRockSteady » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:18 pm
I wasn't timing myself when doing the OG, but now I have started to do so. When I don't have to worry about time I get far more correct than when I am flipping out about the clock. I hope that after I start getting used to the clocked practices my Quant score can go up.