PR test - industrial growth

This topic has expert replies
Community Manager
Followed by:1 members

PR test - industrial growth

by jayhawk2001 » Fri May 25, 2007 2:28 pm
OA after a few reply.

Chicago, where industrial growth in the nineteenth century was more rapid than any other American city, was plagued by labor troubles like the Pullman Strikes of 1894.

A. where industrial growth in the nineteenth century was more rapid than any other American city

B. which had industrial growth in the nineteenth century more rapid than that of other American cities

C. which had growth industrially more rapid than any other American city in the nineteenth century

D. whose industrial growth in the nineteenth century was more rapid than any other American city

E. whose industrial growth in the nineteenth century was more rapid than that of any other American city

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Prasanna » Fri May 25, 2007 6:55 pm
I would go with E. Options A and D have wrong comparisons. C is awkward construction. Between B and E, would chose E.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by Cybermusings » Fri May 25, 2007 10:52 pm
Chicago, where industrial growth in the nineteenth century was more rapid than any other American city, was plagued by labor troubles like the Pullman Strikes of 1894.

A. where industrial growth in the nineteenth century was more rapid than any other American city

B. which had industrial growth in the nineteenth century more rapid than that of other American cities

C. which had growth industrially more rapid than any other American city in the nineteenth century

D. whose industrial growth in the nineteenth century was more rapid than any other American city

E. whose industrial growth in the nineteenth century was more rapid than that of any other American city

C is clearly out. "growth industrially is awkward"
D wrongly compares the industrial growth of Chicago to "any other industrial city"
B - I find the construction awkward
Between A and E I would root for E....A suffers from the same drawback as D

OA Please

Community Manager

by jayhawk2001 » Sat May 26, 2007 8:33 am
OA is E.

I was split between B and E.
"whose" didn't sound right to refer to Chicago but I guess we don't always
get the "perfect" option in one of the choices.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by veekay » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:15 pm
jayhawk2001 wrote:OA is E.

I was split between B and E.
"whose" didn't sound right to refer to Chicago but I guess we don't always
get the "perfect" option in one of the choices.
Can anyone please explain why E is chosen over B? B has a past participle "had" showing two events, industrial growth and strikes, in the past. Not sure why everyone picked E and not B

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Treeram » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:18 pm
A possesive pronoun should be present , when you say 'as that of' something, the thing previously mentioned should also belong to something. This makes E perfect. Correct me if i am wrong :D
When the going gets tough, the tough gets going

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by beny » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:59 am
Treeram wrote:A possesive pronoun should be present , when you say 'as that of' something, the thing previously mentioned should also belong to something. This makes E perfect. Correct me if i am wrong :D
You are wrong.

"The population of Chicago is as dense as that of New York."

Legendary Member
Followed by:43 members
GMAT Score:640

by GmatKiss » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:34 am
imo e

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by vidyame » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:04 pm
E is correct.
A,C,D eliminated due to wrong comparison of growth to any city
B compares growth in chicago to other cities (more is used to compared between 2 objects), also "which had" makes comparison with "that of other American cities" wordy

some information about whose
whose is the only English word we have to refer to inanimate antecedents. Perhaps someone will invent a new word for this purpose, but as of now we're stuck with whose. Going all the way back to the 14th century, you'll find many literary examples of authors referring back to an inanimate antecedent (1). Fowler's quotes Milton's Paradise Lost: "Of man's first disobedience, and the fruit Of that forbidden tree, whose mortal taste Brought death into the world..." (3).