PR test- Experts help

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

PR test- Experts help

by bryan88 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:17 pm
Antonio: Although many attorneys stress the importance of writing a will to govern the distribution of one's property upon death, most people would be better off not drafting a will. Intestacy laws govern the disposition of the estates, the financial assets and personal belongings, of people who die without wills. These laws generally divide the deceased's assets among the surviving spouse and children, if any. Because most people would choose a similar division of property if they drafted wills, they should avoid the expense of hiring an attorney to draft a will.

Beatrice: But the distribution of assets is not the only function handled by a will. The document also determines the guardianship of minor children if both parents are dead. Thus, a will can serve a useful purpose even if the distribution of assets would be the same as that under intestacy laws.

Which of the following best describes the roles played by the bolded phrases in the discussion above?

A.The first phrase states an exception to a general principle, and the second restates that principle.

B.The first phrase states a position, and the second provides evidence supporting an alternate position.

C.The first phrase presents factual evidence, and the second disputes the accuracy of that evidence.

D.The first phrase states the conclusion of an argument, and the second contradicts a premise upon which the conclusion is based.

E.The first phrase contradicts generally accepted beliefs, and the second describes a specific example of those beliefs.

by boazkhan » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:10 pm
don't see the bolded phrases??

by bryan88 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:48 am
Antonio: Although many attorneys stress the importance of writing a will to govern the distribution of one's property upon death, most people would be better off not drafting a will. Intestacy laws govern the disposition of the estates, the financial assets and personal belongings, of people who die without wills. These laws generally divide the deceased's assets among the surviving spouse and children, if any. Because most people would choose a similar division of property if they drafted wills, they should avoid the expense of hiring an attorney to draft a will.

Beatrice: But the distribution of assets is not the only function handled by a will. The document also determines the guardianship of minor children if both parents are dead. Thus, a will can serve a useful purpose even if the distribution of assets would be the same as that under intestacy laws.

Which of the following best describes the roles played by the bolded phrases in the discussion above?

A. The first phrase states an exception to a general principle, and the second restates that principle.

B. The first phrase states a position, and the second provides evidence supporting an alternate position.

C. The first phrase presents factual evidence, and the second disputes the accuracy of that evidence.

D. The first phrase states the conclusion of an argument, and the second contradicts a premise upon which the conclusion is based.

E. The first phrase contradicts generally accepted beliefs, and the second describes a specific example of those beliefs.

Followed by:4 members

by pappueshwar » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:28 am
i feel the answer is D

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:55 pm
I get B.
for bold phrase, I first identify main conclusion and evidence, make some short notes. Then, going to answer choices I check the description of the first bold phrase in 5 choices. This description contains 2 parts. part 1, what the first bold phrase is. Part 2, what is the role of the first bold phrase. I can eliminate 2 or 3 choices so far.

then, I repeat the above steps with 2,3 remaining choices for the decription of the second bold phrase. then I can get to the right

but I still need 3 minutes or more.

anyone has experience for the bold question, pls, explain.

Followed by:8 members

by charu_mahajan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:08 am
Between B and D,

IMO B

The first boldface is the conclusion of the first argument. Eliminate A, C and E.

The conclusion of the second argument is - "Thus, a will can serve...". The second boldface supports this alternate position. As in D, the second boldface is not contradicting the premise in the first argument. It is merely adding that distribution of assets is not the only function. There are other functions too.

Hence B.

Please share OA.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sathishkumarjva9888 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:34 am
Please share the OA.