potential inventors

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

potential inventors

by sq720 » Mon May 11, 2009 7:18 am
Not one of the potential investors is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were not to be concluded.

A.) is expected to make an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until a merger agreement is signed that includes a provision for penalties if the deal were
B.) is expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal was
C.) is expected to make an offer to buy first interstate bank until a merger agreement be signed by them with a provision for penalties if the deal were
D. )are expected to make an offer for buying First Interstate Bank until it signs a merger agreement with a provision for penalties included if the deal was
E.) are expected to be making an offer to buy First Interstate Bank until they sign a merger agreement including a provision for penalties if the deal were.

Ans. A
I don't understand why " were " is correct isn't deal singular?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:710

by mike22629 » Mon May 11, 2009 8:31 am
Remember this construction

If.....were...

It is for a hypothetical situation.

Ex.

If I were to go to the mall,....

Not:
If I was to go to the mall,....

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by nillss » Mon May 11, 2009 8:41 am
Hi, first of all, Not one ...will be followed by 'is' ... singular subject takes a singular verb.. so let's eliminate answer choices D and E.
You are absolutely right in thinking that the deal is singular but look at the context here...it says if the deal were not to be concluded. ' were' is used as a subjunctive i.e. incase of an unlikely event...therefore were is correct...