Manhattan Worskshop and timing issue

Ask your questions about Manhattan Prep products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:660

Manhattan Worskshop and timing issue

by ens137 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:28 am
I just read a post that Stacy(Manhattan Rep) responded to about timing and I am interested in your input. I want to retake within 3 weeks.

Gmat History-in order-Score, Q, V
First 5 were GMAC Practice tests
1. 620-42,34
2. 600-45,27
3. 690-45,40
4. 620-44,31
5. 620-43,34
6. 660-45,35(Actual in June)
7. 660-40,40(actual in Aug)

SOOOOOOO...I worked on getting my verbal score up after my first test and indeed I did. I also tried to get my Quant score up above 45 by studying alot of harder questions. I can get them right but I really killed myself because I wasted ALOT of time on the first 15 questions then had to guess on prob 10 of the remaining questions. I need to recognize problems faster and know how to guess better. Any ideas here?

I also was looking at the Manhattan One day workshop for 750 DS. Do you think this is a good class?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by michael.dinerstein » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:03 am
Hi ens137,

Timing is a very important issue on the exam. It is no doubt that your score went down on the quant section for your previous exam because you had to guess on the remaining 10 questions. You need to be able to appropriately pace yourself and complete sections on time - it's extremely important to success on the exam.

With that said, practicing your timing can be difficult. What you need to do when you practice from now on is to sit down with a stopwatch and make sure you complete practice questions within 2 minutes (except for Sentence Correction problems, which should be completed in 1 minute 30 seconds). Hold yourself to the 2 minute time limit when you practice and you'll find that this will carry over on the real exam.

As for the DS workshop, I think you're at the appropriate quant level to take the workshop, so it's certainly worth looking into. You'll learn advanced Data Sufficiency techniques that will help you better recognize and attack more challenging problems on test day, thereby saving you time.

Good luck studying!

Best,
Michael Dinerstein
Manager of Online Marketing
Manhattan GMAT
212-721-7400
800-576-4628

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:06 pm
Key thing to remember about the quests: they only cover material that shows up on some of the hardest questions on the test. If you aren't actually getting yourself there via your performance on the medium and somewhat hard questions, then you're not even going to be offered the really hard questions and all your work to learn the quest material won't be worth it!

So don't forget that you actually do have to make sure that you can "earn" the quest-level questions, which means making sure that you are performing efficiently and effectively on the 600-700 level questions.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:660

Thanks

by ens137 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:59 pm
Thanks both for getting back to me.
I am going to take the course and I will report on my experience.

Eric