1000 sc

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

1000 sc

by theroadrunnershow » Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:15 pm
hello people!!
i have doubts regarding the following two SCs. would be great if you guys could help me out.

1)A proposal has been made to trim the horns from rhinoceroses to discourage poachers; the question is whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are trimmed.
(A) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses after their horns are
(B) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one once their horns are
(C) whether tourists will continue to visit game parks to see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns have been
(D) if tourists will continue to visit game parks and see rhinoceroses once the animals’ horns are
(E) if tourists will continue to visit game parks to see one after the animals’ horns have been

OA C

2)A peculiar feature of the embryonic mammalian circulatory system is that in the area of the heart the cells adhere to one another, beating in unison and adopting specialized orientations exclusive of one another.
(A) beating in unison and adopting
(B) they beat in unison while adopting
(C) beat in unison, and adopt
(D) beating in unison yet adopting
(E) even though they beat in unison and adopt
OA D

[spoiler]why is the oa for the 2nd one D and not C??wouldnt E be because of parallelism??adhere , beat and adopt..??[/spoiler]
Abhishek sunku

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by camitava » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:20 am
Abhishek,
IN response to ur 1st Qs, IMO - C. Because, WHETHER will get precedence over IF. So eliminate D and E. Now the problem comes with the meaning. TO in B is somewhat awkward as A is already maintaining the parallelism. But A and B are creating a diff meaning which C clears it out. C directly mentions the question to be raised by the people who are coming to see the rhino.
Now Q-2, according to me, it is not a problem of parallelism but with the meaning. I also at first took C. But after referring the OA, I think I have found the mistake I did.
The sentence is saying that the cellls adhere to each other by beating in unison but still having different property with the other.
Am I getting the right point, guys?
Correct me If I am wrong

Regards,

Amitava

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by CrazyGmatter » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:37 pm
Q1 C

Q2 D

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by specialk1975 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:02 am
I think Q2 is C.

2)A peculiar feature of the embryonic mammalian circulatory system is that in the area of the heart the cells adhere to one another, beating in unison and adopting specialized orientations exclusive of one another.
(A) beating in unison and adopting
(B) they beat in unison while adopting
(C) beat in unison, and adopt
(D) beating in unison yet adopting
(E) even though they beat in unison and adopt

*Not sure how to explain it, but the sentence is just talking about characteristics of the cells. I don't think "yet" is necessary. Plus with D there are 2 gerunds, while adhere is not. It would have to be "adhering".

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by sankruth » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:52 am
Heres my explanation for Q2...

If you consider parallel construction i.e. adhere, beat and adopt, then the sentence must start with Peculiar features (plural). Since the sentence starts with Peculiar feature (singular), it only refers to adhere.

Also the clause after '...adhere to one another' must modify the entire phrase and not just the word 'another', it must be a word that ends with -ing. This leaves us with A & D.

D shows a contrast between beating and adopting which sounds more logical than A.

Hope that helps!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by Danielle » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:24 pm
Q1.

The example question has incorrect grammar because of "and see". It should be the infinitive form of the verb here, "to see". That means that you can eliminate A & D.

B -- "one" is an ambiguous pronoun. could refer to poachers or rhinoceroses. Need to specify what it is referring to.
C -- correct
E -- same as B

Q2.

The sentence says the cells adhere to one another, yet the statement that they specialize CONTRASTS this. Therefore "and" is not the right conjunction, you need a comparison one. Eliminate A, C, and E.

B -- "while" is still not the appropriate contrasting conjunction.
D -- correct. This is the only answer choice that offers "yet", which is a contrasting conjunction.
Verbal Tutor

Followed by:6 members

by BTGmoderatorRO » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:11 am
Option A.
'visit the game park', the preposition 'to' is the is the next word that is supposed to follow.
This makes this option incorrect.

Option B.
to see what? This option is not sufficient to explain that visitors visit the parks to see Rhinoceros.

Option C.
This is the correct option. This option perfectly satisfies the message in the sentence and well constructed.

Option D.
In the context of this question,'whether, will be considered over 'if' This makes this option incorrect.

Option E.
This option is not well constructed, thus, incorrect.