Critical reasoning

This topic has expert replies
Followed by:6 members

Critical reasoning

by BTGmoderatorRO » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:32 am
Jim: The United States Mint has recently announced that the rising cost of raw copper, nickel, and zinc has pushed the cost of manufacturing each penny and nickel to more than 1 cent and 5 cents respectively. In addition, there are very few, if any, items that can be purchased for 5 cents, and virtually none that can be purchased for a penny. Since it appears that both the penny and the nickel no longer provide a necessary function in today's economy, I propose that the government simply stop minting the coins at a loss and declare the base unit of U.S. currency to be the dime.

Mary: Don't be silly. This would mean that all prices would round up to the nearest dime and nobody would go for that. There is simply no way that Congress would approve, much less consider, such an unpopular measure.

In her response to Jim, Mary does all of the following EXCEPT:
(A) Makes an assumption about how Jim's proposal would affect prices.
(B) Implies that Congressional approval is necessary for Jim's proposal to take effect.
(C) Provides a reason why Jim's proposal would be difficult to implement, regardless of its justification.
(D) Assumes that Congress will never approve a policy that has little public support.
(E) Attempts to undermine all or some of the premises upon which Jim justifies his proposal.
OA is e.
which method can i use to get the correct answer here? help me please

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:12 members

by EconomistGMATTutor » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:50 am
To start with, this is of course an EXCEPT question, so we're looking for something that Mary does NOT do. We therefore need to examine her two sentences (outside of "Don't be silly") to see if they correctly describe her reasoning. I would suggest simply going through the choices one at a time.

Choice A: Mary does assume how Jim's proposal would affect prices: She believe that all prices would round to the nearest dime.
Choice B: Mary does imply that Congressional approval is necessary: She says "no way" Congress would approve.
Choice C: Mary does provide a reason why Jim's proposal would be difficult to implement: Nobody would "go for" rounding prices to the nearest dime.
Choice D: Mary does assume that Congress will never approve a policy that has little public support: She says that Congress would not approve "such an unpopular measure."
Choice E is correct. At no point does Mary disagree with Jim's premises. She never says, for example, that the cost of those metals haven't risen. She never says that few items can be purchased for 1 or 5 cents. She never disagrees with the premise that pennies/nickels don't provide a necessary function. Mary does not disagree with any of Jim's premises, only his conclusion that pennies and nickels should no longer be minted.

I'm available if you'd like any follow up.
GMAT Prep From The Economist
We offer 70+ point score improvement money back guarantee.
Our average student improves 98 points.