Evaluate the Argument............OG Diagnostic test

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
Metal rings recently excavated from seventh-century settlements in the western part of Mexico were made using the same metallurgical techniques as those used by Ecuadorian artisans before and during that period. These techniques are sufficiently complex to make their independent development in both areas unlikely. Since the people of these two areas were in cultural contact, archaeologists hypothesize that the metallurgical techniques used to make the rings found
in Mexico were learned by Mexican artisans from Ecuadorian counterparts.

Which of the following would it be most useful to establish in order to evaluate the archaeologists' hypothesis?

(A) Whether metal objects were traded from Ecuador to western Mexico during the seventh century
(B) Whether travel between western Mexico and Ecuador in the seventh century would have been primarily by land or by sea
(C) Whether artisans from western Mexico could have learned complex metallurgical techniques from their Ecuadorian counterparts without actually leaving western Mexico
(D) Whether metal tools were used in the seventhcentury settlements in western Mexico
(E) Whether any of the techniques used in the manufacture of the metal rings found in western Mexico are still practiced among artisans in Ecuador today
OA: A

Why choice C is wrong?

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:43 am
Mo2men wrote:Metal rings recently excavated from seventh-century settlements in the western part of Mexico were made using the same metallurgical techniques as those used by Ecuadorian artisans before and during that period. These techniques are sufficiently complex to make their independent development in both areas unlikely. Since the people of these two areas were in cultural contact, archaeologists hypothesize that the metallurgical techniques used to make the rings found

Which of the following would it be most useful to establish in order to evaluate the archaeologists' hypothesis?

(A) Whether metal objects were traded from Ecuador to western Mexico during the seventh century
(B) Whether travel between western Mexico and Ecuador in the seventh century would have been primarily by land or by sea
(C) Whether artisans from western Mexico could have learned complex metallurgical techniques from their Ecuadorian counterparts without actually leaving western Mexico
(D) Whether metal tools were used in the seventhcentury settlements in western Mexico
(E) Whether any of the techniques used in the manufacture of the metal rings found in western Mexico are still practiced among artisans in Ecuador today
OA: A

Why choice C is wrong?
C is irrelevant. We're trying to evaluate the hypothesis that metallurgical techniques used in Mexico were learned from artisans in Ecuador. We're told in the argument that the two cultures were in contact. Why would it matter whether the artisans in Mexico traveled to Ecuador to learn the techniques or the artisans from Ecuador traveled to Mexico to teach the techniques? The location of the contact doesn't matter. We know that it happened.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:49 am
Hi Verbal Experts,
Can you please share your thoughts why exactly Option D is wrong ? (It seems close to me!)

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:35 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Hi Verbal Experts,
Can you please share your thoughts why exactly Option D is wrong ? (It seems close to me!)
We want to determine whether Mexican artisans learned a technique from Ecuadorian artisans.

D is wrong because the question of whether metal tools were used in western Mexico doesn't concern us. It's possible that they were made there and immediately traded to another region. It's possible that the tools were considered beautiful and were purely ornamental. All we care about is how the technique was learned.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:23 am
DavidG@VeritasPrep wrote:
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Hi Verbal Experts,
We want to determine whether Mexican artisans learned a technique from Ecuadorian artisans.

D is wrong because the question of whether metal tools were used in western Mexico doesn't concern us. It's possible that they were made there and immediately traded to another region. It's possible that the tools were considered beautiful and were purely ornamental. All we care about is how the technique was learned.
Hi Dave,
I think, we can also eliminate D for the following reason :

Option D simply doesn't help to address what we're looking for -- whether Mexican learned this technique from Ecuadorian ?
Even if D is true, it could well be the case that the Mexican didn't learn this technique from Ecuadorian, rather Ecuadorian made those metal rings which were later imported to Mexico or Ecuadorian went to Mexico to make those metal rings as foreign workers. Point is, we simply don't know what actually happened even if metal tools were used (or NOT used) in the seventh-century settlements in western Mexico.

This explanation to eliminate D should be correct, I think. Right ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:27 am
Mo2men wrote:Metal rings recently excavated from seventh-century settlements in the western part of Mexico were made using the same metallurgical techniques as those used by Ecuadorian artisans before and during that period. These techniques are sufficiently complex to make their independent development in both areas unlikely. Since the people of these two areas were in cultural contact, archaeologists hypothesize that the metallurgical techniques used to make the rings found

Premise:
Metal rings recently excavated in Mexico were made using the same metallurgical techniques as those used by Ecuadorian artisans.
Conclusion:
The metallurgical techniques used to make the rings found in Mexico were learned by Mexican artisans from Ecuadorian counterparts.

Rephrase the answer choices as basic statements.
The correct rephrase will STRENGTHEN or WEAKEN the conclusion, enabling us to evaluate the validity of the argument.

A, rephrased:
Metal objects were traded from Ecuador to western Mexico.
Here, the metal rings found in Mexico could be the result of TRADE between the two countries, WEAKENING the conclusion that Mexican artisans made the metal rings using techniques learned from their Ecuadorian counterparts.

The correct answer is A.

B, rephrased:
Travel between western Mexico and Ecuador in the seventh century would have been primarily by land or by sea.
This information does not strengthen or weaken the conclusion that the metallurgical techniques used to make the rings found in Mexico were learned by Mexican artisans from Ecuadorian counterparts.
Eliminate B.

C, rephrased:
Artisans from western Mexico could have learned complex metallurgical techniques from their Ecuadorian counterparts without actually leaving western Mexico.
This information seems to reaffirm the PREMISE that Mexico and Ecuador were in cultural contact.
A premise is a FACT: it cannot be strengthened or weakened.
Eliminate any answer choice that attempts to strengthen or weaken a premise.
Eliminate C.

D, rephrased:
Metal tools were used in the seventh century settlements in western Mexico.
This information does not strengthen or weaken the conclusion that metallurgical techniques were learned by Mexican artisans from Ecuadorian counterparts.
Eliminate D.

E, rephrased:
Some of the techniques used in the manufacture of the metal rings found in western Mexico are still practiced among artisans in Ecuador today.
This information tells us nothing about what happened in the 17th century and thus does not strengthen or weaken the conclusion that the metallurgical techniques used to make the rings found in Mexico were learned by Mexican artisans from Ecuadorian counterparts.
Eliminate E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:29 pm
Hi Dave/Mitch,
Can you please quickly confirm whether I'm correct in my reasoning here: https://www.beatthegmat.com/evaluate-th ... tml#812153 ?

Look forward to hear from you! Much thanks in advance.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:39 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Option D simply doesn't help to address what we're looking for -- whether Mexican learned this technique from Ecuadorian ?
This line of reasoning is correct.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by RBBmba@2014 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:21 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
RBBmba@2014 wrote:Option D simply doesn't help to address what we're looking for -- whether Mexican learned this technique from Ecuadorian ?
This line of reasoning is correct.
Thanks Mitch!

And can you please quickly shed light on my other part of the explanation ? Here's it FYQR :
Even if D is true, it could well be the case that the Mexican didn't learn this technique from Ecuadorian, rather Ecuadorian made those metal rings which were later imported to Mexico or Ecuadorian went to Mexico to make those metal rings as foreign workers. Point is, we simply don't know what actually happened even if metal tools were used (or NOT used) in the seventh-century settlements in western Mexico.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:45 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:And can you please quickly shed light on my other part of the explanation ? Here's it FYQR :

The statements above are all reasonable.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3