In order to determine whether or not white cabbage

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
In order to determine whether or not white cabbage butterflies discriminate among flowers that contain nectar and those that do not, entomologists have designed experiment that they hope will reveal the flower - visiting pattern of these butterflies.

A.In order to determine whether or not white cabbage butterflies discriminate among
B.To determine whether white cabbage butterflies discriminate between
C.For determining if white cabbage butterflies discriminate or not between
D.Because of wanting to determine whether white cabbage butterflies discriminate between
E.Since they wanted to determine if white cabbage butterflies discriminate among

OA:B

Source-GMATPrep EP-1

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:34 am
NandishSS wrote:In order to determine whether or not white cabbage butterflies discriminate among flowers that contain nectar and those that do not, entomologists have designed an experiment that they hope will reveal the flower - visiting pattern of these butterflies.

A.In order to determine whether or not white cabbage butterflies discriminate among
B.To determine whether white cabbage butterflies discriminate between
C.For determining if white cabbage butterflies discriminate or not between
D.Because of wanting to determine whether white cabbage butterflies discriminate between
E.Since they wanted to determine if white cabbage butterflies discriminate among
A: whether or not
The red portion is redundant, since it can be omitted with no loss of meaning.
The following is sufficient to convey the intended meaning:
To determine whether white cabbage butterflies discriminate, entomologists have designed an experiment.
Eliminate A.

if serves to introduce a CONDITION.
whether serves to introduce ALTERNATIVES.
The intent here is to discuss alternatives: white cabbage butterflies either DISCRIMINATE or DO NOT DISCRIMINATE.
Thus, the usage of if in C and E is inappropriate.
Eliminate C and E.

D: Because of wanting to determine whether white cabbage butterflies disciminate, entomologists have designed an experiment.
To determine whether white cabbage butterflies discriminate, entomologists have designed an experiment.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by manik11 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:53 pm
GMATGuruNY wrote:
A: whether or not
Eliminate A.

if serves to introduce a CONDITION.
whether serves to introduce ALTERNATIVES.
The intent here is to discuss alternatives: white cabbage butterflies either DISCRIMINATE or DO NOT DISCRIMINATE.
Thus, the usage of if in C and E is inappropriate.
Eliminate C and E.

D: Because of wanting to determine whether white cabbage butterflies disciminate, entomologists have designed an experiment.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is B.
Hi Mitch,
Can we also mark A and E wrong because of the use of 'among' at the end of underlined portion. Generally among is used for more than two entities and between for just two, and here we have just two types of flowers. Is this reasoning okay?

Thanks!
Manik

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:17 am
manik11 wrote:Hi Mitch,
Can we also mark A and E wrong because of the use of 'among' at the end of underlined portion. Generally among is used for more than two entities and between for just two, and here we have just two types of flowers. Is this reasoning okay?

Thanks!
Manik
Correct!
For two entities, we use not among but between.
Eliminate A and E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3