Scored 580 in first Mock, targeting 740+. Need guidance

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Scored 580 (Q49 + V21) in first Mock, targeting 740+ in 2 months from now. Need guidance.

If i follow Beat the GMAT 60 day study guide meticulously, would it be enough to score 740+ is GMAT ?
I am very good in Quants, good in RCs and not so good with Verbal and Sentence corrections.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:52 am
opjha20 wrote:Scored 580 (Q49 + V21) in first Mock, targeting 740+ in 2 months from now. Need guidance.

If i follow Beat the GMAT 60 day study guide meticulously, would it be enough to score 740+ is GMAT ?
I am very good in Quants, good in RCs and not so good with Verbal and Sentence corrections.
Here's my verbal crash course:

- Read voraciously everyday for a few weeks. (Anything challenging will do.) There's research suggesting that the physiology of our brains changes when we read more: https://www.theatlantic.com/education/ar ... in/282952/

- Consider incorporating some mindfulness meditation. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archi ... on/275564/

Afterwards, review the official material you've worked through and see if there are patterns to the questions you've missed. Anything unclear, post here. Jot a few notes to yourself about simple adjustments you can make. Remember that for all the strategies/grammar rules we teach, the verbal section is primarily about logic and focus. Practice boiling everything down to its essence. Always ask yourself, before you select an answer in sentence correction, if the sentence, when read literally, is clear and logical. Before you select an answer in Critical Reasoning always take another moment and ask if your answer really does impact the conclusion. Before you select an answer in Reading Comp ask yourself if there's textual support for that answer. Be relentless. Then hit some fresh official tests: https://www.mba.com/us/store/store-catal ... ack-1.aspx
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:56 am
Hi opjha20,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. Since your Quant is already so strong, you likely won't have to spend much time in that area. However, to score 740+, you're going to have to make some BIG improvements to how you handle the Verbal section of the GMAT. Two months might be enough time for that, but it might not.

1) How long have you been studying?
2) What materials are you using?
3) When you took this CAT, did you take the ENTIRE CAT (with the Essay and IR sections)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Mon May 09, 2016 5:28 pm
opjha20 wrote:Scored 580 (Q49 + V21) in first Mock, targeting 740+ in 2 months from now. Need guidance.

Your mock score shows a clear lack of fundamentals. In your preparation so far, how did you study? What material did you follow?

1. Did you take the test including AWA and IR?
2. Did you complete both the sections? (There is a high penalty if you do not complete a section)

You need to build the concepts/fundamentals before you jump in solving the problems. You can do so by choosing one of the following ways:

1. In person classes/private tutoring
2. Online classes
3. Self paced online preparatory course
4. Book heavy approach

Whatever you choose, make sure that you choose one. Because GMAT tests you on some concepts and fundamentals that you can learn from a course. Most of the preparatory companies including ours offer a free trial of our course. You can take the trial and see if the course suits your needs.
In addition to the preparatory material, buy the Official Guides(both the Official Guide and the Verbal Review), Question Pack 1 and the 4 official mock CATs. They should be an indispensable part of your preparation.

You need close to 3 months to prepare well for the GMAT.

by opjha20 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:00 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi opjha20,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores. Since your Quant is already so strong, you likely won't have to spend much time in that area. However, to score 740+, you're going to have to make some BIG improvements to how you handle the Verbal section of the GMAT. Two months might be enough time for that, but it might not.

1) How long have you been studying?
2) What materials are you using?
3) When you took this CAT, did you take the ENTIRE CAT (with the Essay and IR sections)?

Rich
1) How long have you been studying? 1 month
2) What materials are you using? OG GMAT 2016 and Manhattang guides
3) When you took this CAT, did you take the ENTIRE CAT (with the Essay and IR sections)? Without IR.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:44 pm
Hi opjha20,

Your original post was almost 6 weeks ago. Have you taken any FULL-LENGTH CATs (with the Essay and IR sections) since then? If you have, then how did you score (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)? If you have not, then you should plan to take a new CAT soon so that we can use that score data as a basis for comparison.

Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by opjha20 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:44 am
Hi Rich,

I will be taking one full length mock test day after tomorrow, after that i will update my score here.

I would need guidance in Verbal section. Thanks.

Best Regards,
OP Jha