This Section is KEEPING ME UP AT NIGHT!!

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

This Section is KEEPING ME UP AT NIGHT!!

by MalcolmW » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:07 pm
I did ok on questions that are arithmetic based but the DS question/problem solving not so much. Its like my answers are the exact opposite of what the correct choice is. If I choose statement 1 the answer is statement 2. If I say both then its neither. I get so caught up till I'm at the point where I don't know how to attack these questions. Im not worried at all about verbal. I scored in the 76th percentile in a noisy library and pausing the test to relocate several times. Is there anything ANYBODY can provide. Im using Kaplan and GMAT 2015 workbook questions with majority of my studies coming from gmatprepnow.com. I plan on testing Dec. 12.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:29 pm
Hi MalcomW.

Getting comfortable with GMAT math and with DS specifically can take a fair amount of work.

I personally can sympathize with how you feel about DS. In the beginning I had trouble with them too.

One thing I did to solve that problem was to simply do DS questions until I handling them became second nature. Another good source of DS questions that you can access is the Veritas Question Bank here. https://www.veritasprep.com/gmat-question-bank/

Beyond that, really you just need to look over your practice tests and see what types of quant questions you find most challenging. Then learn all about how to get answer to questions of one of those types and do questions of that type until you are an expert in that type. Then go on to another type and do the same. By focusing on one type at a time you can really develop the skills necessary to score high on the quant section, and I am not talking about quickly burning through questions in two minutes each. I am talking about taking what you have learned about how to do a type of question and carefully working on questions to really learn how to get right answers. If it takes ten minutes per question, or twenty, or whatever, to get right answers in the beginning, then that's what it takes. If you can't get right answers in ten minutes, you certainly won't get many in two minutes per question.

To find questions of a particular type you can do internet searches. Also, you can sign up for a practice account here, https://bellcurves.com, to access a bank of categorized GMAT quant practice questions.

GMAT quant is pretty predictable in a way. So you can prepare for it. Doing so can and does for many take a fair amount of work. So if that's the case for you, it's no big surprise. You just have to figure out what you need to do to hit your score goal and do it.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

by MalcolmW » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:04 am
Thanks for the reply. I've been told that the best remedy for this situation is repetition. My problem is if I am consistently getting Questions incorrect it would help to know how and why. I don't have a step by step tutor at my side when working so I end up even more frustrated.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:15 am
MalcolmW wrote:Thanks for the reply. I've been told that the best remedy for this situation is repetition. My problem is if I am consistently getting Questions incorrect it would help to know how and why. I don't have a step by step tutor at my side when working so I end up even more frustrated.
Repetition alone will merely serve to make whatever approach you're currently using into an unconscious habit. But if your current approach isn't working, well, that's not a good thing. In addition to Marty's sound advice, I'd encourage you to slow down. Do fewer problems, but really dissect the problems you do. Make notes about where you went wrong. If it isn't clear, post the question here and detail your thought process. The instructors on the site can serve as ersatz tutors for you and help pinpoint where you went astray. Once you have a better understanding of how these questions work and where your personal sticking points are, then focus on repetition.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members

by MartyMurray » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:33 am
MalcomW, David pretty much nailed it for you.

I would like to add this as well.

The word "frustrated" is one that I hear a lot, and maybe it is one that you should erase from your mindset and vocabulary.

Realize that you can score whatever you want to on the quant section of the GMAT. Doing that is just a matter of figuring out what it will take and making it happen. So as is the case in all of life, there is no frustration, only continuous application of energy until you achieve what you want to achieve.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Jennifer@Kaplan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:35 am
Hi MalcolmW,

Data Sufficiency questions are very different from the kinds of math questions most of us worked through while learning math in school, so they take a strategic approach. You're right, you need a plan of attack. Because the goal in these questions is not necessarily to work through every step of a calculation, but rather to determine if a statement is enough to answer a question, pause to identify what exactly is needed to answer the question before you look at the statements themselves. Look at what information you have and have not been given, and use that information to determine what is still needed. Then you can evaluate the answer choices with specific requirements for what they must give you to be sufficient.

Yes, this will take consistent practice. Review explanations for questions when possible to see what you can learn from each.

Best,
Jennifer

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:57 am
Hi MalcolmW,

Data Sufficiency is a question type that is unique to the GMAT, so it takes everyone a certain amount of time to learn how to properly 'see' (and respond to) DS questions. There are plenty of patterns that you can learn (and take advantage of) and Tactics that you can use to deal with DS questions though, so you just have to make sure that you're working with materials that properly teach you what you need to learn.

1) How long have you been studying?
2) How have you been scoring on your practice CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
3) What is your goal score?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by MalcolmW » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:22 pm
Hey Rich,

1. I've been studying since late August
2. 460. Quant-17 Verbal- 35
3. I don't have a target scor for the university I want to attend. It's a new program so they don't have anything set, though I've seen 640 on some sites. I've set my sights on 700 simply because of how taxing this test prep is and testing isn't a a strong suit of mine. I really want to conquer this test.

Also, I don't go for bulk when I'm working on the quant section. I take my time almost to a fault. There have been some days where I'm lucky to walk away partially solving and understanding 3 questions.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members

by [email protected] » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:41 am
Hi MalcolmW,

With a Q17, you have 'issues' in other areas besides DS - you likely have some 'holes' in your general knowledge and mechanics (physically working through the math) and some organizational/pacing problems.

Is the 460 the only CAT you've taken? If it is, then how long has it been since you took that CAT?

Given everything that you've described, a December 12th Test Date probably does not give you enough time to raise your score 180-240+ points, so you might have to adjust your goals/plans a bit.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]