The Low Work Ex + 700 GMAT

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

The Low Work Ex + 700 GMAT

by screamjack » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:06 pm
Hi,

Just completed the GMAT recently. While I was looking for a score between 650 and 670, I must say I'm quite happy that I scored a 700 (45 quant and 41 verbal). The element of confusion for me here is I currently have one year of work experience and plan to apply for a full-time MBA which will begin next fall (before which I should have the usual stated minimum work ex of 2 years). When I apply (during the next 2 months), will I be considered as a candidate with only 1 year experience or will the fact that I would have completed 2 years of work ex by next fall be taken into account?

On the education level, I am a Chemical Engineer with a CGPA of 7.42/10.

I work as an academic author and I develop e-learning courses for a company in India. It's a pretty interesting job and I have had decent exposure to a lot of intelligent people and unique projects. For example, I worked on developing a simulation on Social Media Marketing for the American Marketing Association, was involved in a a large project for developing nursing simulations for Pearson Education and am currently working on a project for a bustling startup called Smart Sparrow from Australia who have just entered the American Market and rocketed to a revenue of 10 million dollars. However, I have never been involved in a managerial way in any of these projects. All my involvement has been from the development side.

My goal however is to return to India after completing an MBA (in the US) and working abroad for 3-4 years to develop international experience and join my dad in his business. He runs a coffee trading company that acts as a middle player for coffee exports to Europe. We have recently decided to expand into the retail industry and bring out our products into the retail market. This is my main interest and I am looking for an MBA with a specialization in marketing/international business. Please note that I have never worked under my dad before as a full time employee, I only have detailed exposure to his business.

I also have a book published on amazon which is an anthology of ecstatic poetry and essays.

Considering the information above in conjunction with the GMAT 700, would you have any recommendations as to which universities would be interested?

Sorry for the extensive content! But I hope it reflects how annoyingly curious I am! :)

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members

by Personal MBA Coach » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:36 pm
screamjack wrote:Hi,

Just completed the GMAT recently. While I was looking for a score between 650 and 670, I must say I'm quite happy that I scored a 700 (45 quant and 41 verbal). The element of confusion for me here is I currently have one year of work experience and plan to apply for a full-time MBA which will begin next fall (before which I should have the usual stated minimum work ex of 2 years). When I apply (during the next 2 months), will I be considered as a candidate with only 1 year experience or will the fact that I would have completed 2 years of work ex by next fall be taken into account?

On the education level, I am a Chemical Engineer with a CGPA of 7.42/10.

I work as an academic author and I develop e-learning courses for a company in India. It's a pretty interesting job and I have had decent exposure to a lot of intelligent people and unique projects. For example, I worked on developing a simulation on Social Media Marketing for the American Marketing Association, was involved in a a large project for developing nursing simulations for Pearson Education and am currently working on a project for a bustling startup called Smart Sparrow from Australia who have just entered the American Market and rocketed to a revenue of 10 million dollars. However, I have never been involved in a managerial way in any of these projects. All my involvement has been from the development side.

My goal however is to return to India after completing an MBA (in the US) and working abroad for 3-4 years to develop international experience and join my dad in his business. He runs a coffee trading company that acts as a middle player for coffee exports to Europe. We have recently decided to expand into the retail industry and bring out our products into the retail market. This is my main interest and I am looking for an MBA with a specialization in marketing/international business. Please note that I have never worked under my dad before as a full time employee, I only have detailed exposure to his business.

I also have a book published on amazon which is an anthology of ecstatic poetry and essays.

Considering the information above in conjunction with the GMAT 700, would you have any recommendations as to which universities would be interested?

Sorry for the extensive content! But I hope it reflects how annoyingly curious I am! :)
Thank you for the post and congrats on beating your GMAT expectations! You will be evaluated as someone with two years of experience. I would love to help you find the best schools as well as put together great applications, but I would need some more information.

Where did you go for undergraduate?
What do you do outside of work from a leadership perspective?
What region are you looking to study in? Europe/US/Asia?

Feel free to email me directly if you would like. [email protected]

Good luck!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:7 members

by Michael@VeritasPrep » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:54 pm
I think you will get credit for 2 years of work experience, but why do you feel like you need to go to school now? Business schools aren't going anywhere and your score is good for five years (congrats on that by the way!). You might be better served to get a few more years of experience and then that can't be held against you. It will definitely open up some better school opportunities than what you are looking at right now.