The Scandinavian assault on Western Europe culminated in the

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740
The Scandinavian assault on Western Europe culminated in the early eleventh century with the Danish conquest of the English kingdom, which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat, unsuccessfully later in the same century.

A. which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat, unsuccessfully, later in the same century
B. which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later that same century, but not successfully
C. an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted later in the century to repeat, but were not successful at it
D. an achievement attempted later in the century by other Scandinavian kings that was not successful
E. an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later in the century, but without success

Correct Answer: E

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:47 am
This is the Snapshot of the official Explanation -

https://postimg.cc/image/e9zvdfg0x/full/

My idea of reusing C was the structure.

IC, but IC - This is the structure since C was missing that so I eliminated that Option.

But IF we go with the understanding stated above then how is E correct.
My Reasoning -

DC, FANBOYS - In this case FANBOYS needn't to be followed by IC.

The Official Explanation for E says -

The appositive an achievement is made into a direct object in the relative pronoun that . The noun Scandinavian kings is the subject of the verb attempted to repeat, which is modified by the adverbial phrase at the end of the sentence, but without success

Can some one help me to understand the Official Explanation for E.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:52 am
richachampion wrote:The Scandinavian assault on Western Europe culminated in the early eleventh century with the Danish conquest of the English kingdom, which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat, unsuccessfully later in the same century.

A. which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat, unsuccessfully, later in the same century
B. which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later that same century, but not successfully
C. an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted later in the century to repeat, but were not successful at it
D. an achievement attempted later in the century by other Scandinavian kings that was not successful
E. an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later in the century, but without success
A and B: the English Kingdom, which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat
Here, which seems to refer to the English kingdom, implying that other Scandanavian kings attempted to repeat THE ENGLISH KINGDOM -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate A and B.

In C, that and it both refer to an achievement.
Two different pronouns cannot have the same referent.
Eliminate C.

D: an achievement...that was not successful
This meaning is nonsensical: an achievement can be neither successful nor unsuccessful.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
DC, FANBOYS - In this case FANBOYS needn't to be followed by IC
COMMA + but does NOT have to be followed by an independent clause.
The OA conveys the following meaning:
The Scandinavian assault on Western Europe culminated in the early eleventh century with the Danish conquest of the English kingdom, an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later in the century, but [that they attempted] without success.
The words in brackets are omitted, but their presence is implied.
Last edited by GMATGuruNY on Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:58 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
richachampion wrote:The Scandinavian assault on Western Europe culminated in the early eleventh century with the Danish conquest of the English kingdom, which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat, unsuccessfully later in the same century.

A and B: the English Kingdom, which other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat
Here, which seems to refer to the English kingdom, implying that other Scandanavian kings attempted to repeat THE ENGLISH KINGDOM -- a nonsensical meaning.
Eliminate A and B.

In C, that and it both refer to an achievement.
Two different pronouns cannot have the same referent.
Eliminate C.

D: an achievement...that was not successful
This meaning is nonsensical: an achievement can be neither successful nor unsuccessful.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
DC, FANBOYS - In this case FANBOYS needn't to be followed by IC
COMMA + but does NOT have to be followed by an independent clause.
The OA conveys the following meaning:
The Scandinavian assault on Western Europe culminated in the early eleventh century with the Danish conquest of the English kingdom, an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later in the century, but [other Scandinavian kings attempted] without success.
The words in brackets are omitted, but their presence is understood.
Thank you so much.

But the Official explanation for C also says this -
C: "The coordinating conjunction but introduced a clause that requires a subject and a verb; this version of the sentence provides the verb were but omits the subject."

That is the same as -
IC, but IC (S+V) - Right?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:41 am
richachampion wrote:
But the Official explanation for C also says this -
C: "The coordinating conjunction but introduced a clause that requires a subject and a verb; this version of the sentence provides the verb were but omits the subject."

That is the same as -
IC, but IC (S+V) - Right?
COMMA + but + NO SUBJECT + VERB is permissible if the MAIN SUBJECT from the preceding clause is clearly implied.

From the OG:
The earliest writing was probably not a direct rendering of speech, but more than likely began as a separate and distinct symbolic system of communication.
Here, COMMA + but more than likely began is permissible because the main subject from the preceding clause -- the earliest writing -- is clearly implied.
Conveyed meaning:
The earliest writing was probably not a direct rendering of speech, but [the earliest writing] more than likely began as a separate and distinct symbolic system of communication.

Answer choice C in the SC above:
an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted later in the century to repeat, but were not successful at it.
Here, COMMA + but were is not permissible because the preceding portion in red is composed of NOUN + that-modifier and thus does NOT have a main subject.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Needgmat » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:17 am
COMMA + but + NO SUBJECT + VERB is permissible if the MAIN SUBJECT from the preceding clause is clearly implied.

From the OG:
The earliest writing was probably not a direct rendering of speech, but more than likely began as a separate and distinct symbolic system of communication.
Here, COMMA + but more than likely began is permissible because the main subject from the preceding clause -- the earliest writing -- is clearly implied.
Conveyed meaning:
The earliest writing was probably not a direct rendering of speech, but [the earliest writing] more than likely began as a separate and distinct symbolic system of communication.

Answer choice C in the SC above:
an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted later in the century to repeat, but were not successful at it.
Here, COMMA + but were is not permissible because the preceding portion in red is composed of NOUN + that-modifier and thus does NOT have a main subject.

Hi GMATGuruNY ,

All clear sir.

an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later in the century, but without success

Just a quick clarification needed. In above OA the preceding portion in red is also composed of NOUN + that modifier.

So how come this is permissible?

Please explain.

Many thanks in advance.

Kavin

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:22 am
Needgmat wrote:an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later in the century, but without success

Just a quick clarification needed. In above OA the preceding portion in red is also composed of NOUN + that modifier.

So how come this is permissible?
Here, COMMA + but is followed not by a verb but by a modifier (without success).
As a result, it is crystal clear that this modifier serves to modify the preceding that-clause.
Conveyed meaning:
an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later in the century, but [that they attempted] without success.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:41 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: The OA conveys the following meaning:
The Scandinavian assault on Western Europe culminated in the early eleventh century with the Danish conquest of the English kingdom, an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later in the century, but [other Scandinavian kings attempted] without success.
The words in brackets are omitted, but their presence is understood.
I think is what some authors or text-books term as ellipsis, Right?
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:47 am
richachampion wrote:I think is what some authors or text-books term as ellipsis, Right?
Correct.
ellipsis = the omission of words whose presence is understood.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:50 am
Sorry. Do not have the option to delete so changing the message.
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Needgmat » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:58 am
Here, COMMA + but is followed not by a verb but by a modifier (without success).
As a result, it is crystal clear that this modifier serves to modify the preceding that-clause.
Conveyed meaning:
an achievement that other Scandinavian kings attempted to repeat later in the century, but [that they attempted] without success.
Hi GMATGuruNY ,

Thank you so much for your explanation.

All clear now.

Thanks,

Kavin