more than x minutes

This topic has expert replies
GMAT Instructor
Followed by:80 members
GMAT Score:760

more than x minutes

by sanju09 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:54 am
If two pipes A and B together can fill a cistern in x minutes and if A alone can fill it in a minutes more than x minutes and B alone can fill it in b minutes more than x minutes, then what is x equal to?
(A) √ (a^2 + b^2)
(B) √ (a^2 - b^2)
(C) a b
(D) √ (a b)
(E) a b - a^2 - b^2
The mind is everything. What you think you become. -Lord Buddha

Sanjeev K Saxena
Quantitative Instructor
The Princeton Review - Manya Abroad
Lucknow-226001

www.manyagroup.com

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by truplayer256 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:24 am
1/(a+x)+1/(b+x)=1/x

(a+x)(b+x)/(a+b+2x)=x

ax+bx+2x^2=ab+ax+bx+x^2

x^2=ab

x=√ab

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:680

by harshavardhanc » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:01 am
sanju09 wrote:If two pipes A and B together can fill a cistern in x minutes and if A alone can fill it in a minutes more than x minutes and B alone can fill it in b minutes more than x minutes, then what is x equal to?
(A) √ (a^2 + b^2)
(B) √ (a^2 - b^2)
(C) a b
(D) √ (a b)
(E) a b - a^2 - b^2
since this relation is a generic one, it should be satisfied by all the values.

Let's take equal and simple values, and then go about it.

let A and B each fill the cistern in 4 mins. therefore, together they will take half the time , i.e. 2 mins to fill the cistern.

according to the question X= 2, a=2, b=2

put the values, check for correctness. :)
Regards,
Harsha

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:12 am
harshavardhanc wrote:
sanju09 wrote:If two pipes A and B together can fill a cistern in x minutes and if A alone can fill it in a minutes more than x minutes and B alone can fill it in b minutes more than x minutes, then what is x equal to?
(A) √ (a^2 + b^2)
(B) √ (a^2 - b^2)
(C) a b
(D) √ (a b)
(E) a b - a^2 - b^2

let A and B each fill the cistern in 4 mins. therefore, together they will take half the time , i.e. 2 mins to fill the cistern.

heheheh!! U logic wont work bro....Try for other values of X where a is not equal to b...

Only the straight method wrks as posted by @truplayer256.

Legendary Member

by harshavardhanc » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:58 am
gmatmachoman wrote:
harshavardhanc wrote:
(A) √ (a^2 + b^2)
(B) √ (a^2 - b^2)
(C) a b
(D) √ (a b)
(E) a b - a^2 - b^2

heheheh!! U logic wont work bro....Try for other values of X where a is not equal to b...

Gmatmachoman..buddy, I know you are very experienced on this forum and I think you have a strong prep too.

But, this CR has made me so adamant that I cannot take a plain no. I need solid reasoning for any argument.

now coming to my previous response, there is NO logic involved in my first post. None at all.

it's like saying : if you have an equation of line as X+Y = 2, sum of every set of value on this line will be 2 . Simple.

Now let me show you how this is true. I'll take some difficult numbers, calculation verification for which is left to you .

Let A take 4 mins to fill the cistern and B take 5 mins. So working together, they well take 20/9 mins to fill the cistern

Hence, per the question 'a' becomes 4-(20/9) = (16/9) and 'b' becomes 5-(20/9) = 25/9

therefore X = 20/9 = sqrt( 16/9 * 25/9)

no option other than D will give you the correct answer.

plugging in the values ALWAYS works. Sometimes it gives two probable answers. You then need to take another set which eliminates the wrong choice.
Regards,
Harsha

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:06 am
agreed Bro!!

Seems some Hitch in my statement!!

Apologies from my end bro!!

Legendary Member

by harshavardhanc » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:19 am
gmatmachoman wrote:agreed Bro!!

Seems some Hitch in my statement!!

Apologies from my end bro!!
not a prob ...to err is human ;)
Regards,
Harsha

GMAT Instructor

by sanju09 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:32 pm
harshavardhanc wrote:
gmatmachoman wrote:
harshavardhanc wrote:
(A) √ (a^2 + b^2)
(B) √ (a^2 - b^2)
(C) a b
(D) √ (a b)
(E) a b - a^2 - b^2

Gmatmachoman..buddy, I know you are very experienced on this forum and I think you have a strong prep too.

But, this CR has made me so adamant that I cannot take a plain no. I need solid reasoning for any argument.

now coming to my previous response, there is NO logic involved in my first post. None at all.

it's like saying : if you have an equation of line as X+Y = 2, sum of every set of value on this line will be 2 . Simple.

Now let me show you how this is true. I'll take some difficult numbers, calculation verification for which is left to you .

Let A take 4 mins to fill the cistern and B take 5 mins. So working together, they well take 20/9 mins to fill the cistern

Hence, per the question 'a' becomes 4-(20/9) = (16/9) and 'b' becomes 5-(20/9) = 25/9

plugging in the values ALWAYS works. Sometimes it gives two probable answers. You then need to take another set which eliminates the wrong choice.
great advocacy of plugging in, this helps you foresee without pen sometimes, but a fair practice that is enough to decide where to apply plugging in policy, is always must.

Sanjeev K Saxena
Quantitative Instructor
Lucknow-226001

www.manyagroup.com

Legendary Member

by harshavardhanc » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:56 am
sanju09 wrote: great advocacy of plugging in, this helps you foresee without pen sometimes, but a fair practice that is enough to decide

where to apply plugging in policy, is always must.
yes, I missed the *conditions apply part in my post. Thanks for supplementing my response with it !

Anyway, as the normal equation method had already been posted, I chose to reply with the plugging-in method. In that way, the readers are aware of another method which, in some cases, might be faster.

But as Sanju said, it's totally depends on the users discretion whether to apply that method in the actual exam. :)
Regards,
Harsha

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by tgou008 » Sun May 22, 2011 3:36 pm
harshavardhanc wrote:
gmatmachoman wrote:
harshavardhanc wrote:
(A) √ (a^2 + b^2)
(B) √ (a^2 - b^2)
(C) a b
(D) √ (a b)
(E) a b - a^2 - b^2

I too used this plugging approach; but it is very time consuming and the numbers are messy. Is there an easier and faster method we can use?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by sanju09 » Mon May 23, 2011 1:35 am
tgou008 wrote:
harshavardhanc wrote:
gmatmachoman wrote:
harshavardhanc wrote:
(A) √ (a^2 + b^2)
(B) √ (a^2 - b^2)
(C) a b
(D) √ (a b)
(E) a b - a^2 - b^2

I too used this plugging approach; but it is very time consuming and the numbers are messy. Is there an easier and faster method we can use?

Thanks

In 1 minute, A alone can fill 1/ (x + a) of the cistern, B alone can fill 1/ (x + b) of the same cistern, whereas A and B together can fill 1/x of the same cistern.

That way

1/ (x + a) + 1/ (x + b) = 1/x

» (2 x + a + b)/ (x^2 + a x + b x + a b) = 1/x

» 2 x^2 + a x + b x = x^2 + a x + b x + a b

» x^2 = a b

» [spoiler]x = √ (a b)

D
[/spoiler]

Sanjeev K Saxena
Quantitative Instructor
Lucknow-226001

www.manyagroup.com

by sushantgupta » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:12 pm
1/x = 1/(x+a) + 1/x+b
=> x(x+a+x+b) = (x+a)(x+b)
> x^2 = ab > x = sqrt(ab).

Followed by:1 members

by Bek » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:41 pm
The easiest way is to plug in.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by tailoc » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:54 am
Formula: Ra+Rb=Rx
<=> 1/(a+x) + 1/(b+x) = 1/x
=> x = sqrt(ab)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by prashant misra » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:16 am
The answer to this question is option D picking numbers would be the bets possible approach if anyone know which values would approximately nearby to the squareroot xy