Suggestion help

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Suggestion help

by earl25 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:45 pm
Hello,

I'm new to the forum. If this is in the wrong forum, please let me know. I have decided I want to start studying for the GMAT to get into Business school. I want to pursue a career change to accounting. I have a bachelors in political science which is pretty much a degree printed on bounty paper towel.

The main thing im scared about is , I'm very very bad at math. I hate it, I don't get it and worst of all im scared of it. I looked at some GMAT math problems and don't even know where/ how to start the problem. I bought an arithmetic book and some gmat flash cards to brush up on my basic math.

I'm planning on buying the Manhattan gmat books. Can anyone recommend a study plan literally going from ground zero to GMAT. Are there any online school/programs that can help me study for the GMAT and literally start me from day 1 type basic math and work my way up.
Do you guys use things like Khan academy to brush up for the math?

any help would be greatly appreciated

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:52 pm
earl25 wrote: Do you guys use things like Khan academy to brush up for the math?
There are a lot of great websites (like Khan Academy) out there to learn basic mathematical concepts, HOWEVER none of them address GMAT-specific concepts and strategies (data sufficiency strategies for one). Also, users are often exposed to concepts that are not tested on the GMAT, and this can waste what remaining time you have.

If possible, I suggest sticking with resources that a specifically towards the GMAT.

Our free video course starts with the most basic concepts and works up to 800-level concepts. I'm sure there are other courses that do the same.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:23 pm
Hi earl25,

Since you've admitted to being in need of some broader math practice, I do recommend that you start off at Khan Academy with basic Algebra, Arithmetic and Geometry. The Quant section of the GMAT requires that you know all of the essential formulas and that you be able to do a lot of basic math 'by hand.' While there are a variety of tactics, pattern-matching skills, etc. that you can also train to use against the Quant section, all of those skills are ALSO based on your ability to understand and do basic math. From what you have described, jumping into GMAT material without first (re)learning the essential math could be problematic.

In broader terms though, it's important to define some of your bigger goals before you get started:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
4) Do you know which Schools you plan to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]