6 months of studying .Not going beyond 570 frustated!!!!

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
I have been studying for 6 months. I have gone through all the topics. I don't know what i am missing. I never score more than 570.

Q->35-40
V->25-30.

Please help me i took the GMAT prep and got 520.

Please suggest how to study. I am a very high score. I am frustated.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:18 am
Hi src_saurav,

If you're 'stuck' in the 500s, then we have to take a good look at how you've been studying.

1) What resources have you been using?
2) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)? If possible, list them individually.

3) When you take your CATs, do you run out of time on any of the sections and have to guess on questions just to finish (and if so, then how many questions are you guessing on)?
4) When you take your CATs, do you finish any of the sections early?

5) What is your goal score?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by src_saurav » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:44 am
1) What resources have you been using?

OG-13 and Magoosh GMAT

2) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)? If possible, list them individually.

All the CATs on MAGOOSH

GMATPrep-520

3) When you take your CATs, do you run out of time on any of the sections and have to guess on questions just to finish (and if so, then how many questions are you guessing on)?

Yes. I do run out of time. I guess on around 8 questions .

4) When you take your CATs, do you finish any of the sections early?

No.

5) What is your goal score?

6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

I want to take admission in Sept next year.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:33 pm
Hi src_saurav,

I have a few follow-up questions about your CATs:

1) What were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each? (That information will give me a better sense of your current strengths and weaknesses.)
2) Did you take the FULL CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
3) Do you have to guess on about 8 question in EACH section (meaning 8 questions in Quant and 8 questions in Verbal)?

Rich

by src_saurav » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:07 pm
1)quant score b/w 35 and 42.verbal 26 always

2)full cat minus that
3)yes guessing on 8 in each section

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:37 am
Hi src_saurav,

To best understand your situation, I really need specific answers to the questions I asked:

When you scored 600, 570, etc., what were the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores on EACH of those individual CATs (eg. 600/Q47/V26)? I want to track how your scores changed over the course of your studies.

When you say 'full cat MINUS that', does that mean that you did NOT do the Essay and IR sections? If that's the case, then you did NOT take the FULL CAT.

Considering your goal score, these CAT scores and assuming that you have NOT been taking the FULL CAT each time, you are going to need to invest some serious time and energy to raise your GMAT score to the desired level. You're also likely going to need to invest in some new GMAT resources. I would suspect that at least another 2 months of consistent study will be required. So a late September Test Date might be doable, but an October Test Date might be the reality.

Rich

by src_saurav » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:46 am
1)Q-42 V-26
2)Q-40 V-26
3)Q-40 V-26
4)Q-34 V-29

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:09 am
Hi src_saurav,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +-30 points of actual ability. Assuming a similar 'swing' in how practice CATs function, your CAT scores point to a general ability in the mid-500s. Since these scores are spread over the course of 6 months of study, and they're fairly consistent, then it's reasonable to think that 'your way' of approaching the GMAT has gotten you to this level (but it's not going to get you any higher).

I mentioned in a prior post that I thought that you would need to invest in some new study materials. Most GMAT Companies offer some type of free materials (practice problems, Trial Accounts, videos, etc.) that you can use to 'test out' a product before you buy it. We have a variety of those resources at out site (www.empowergmat.com). I suggest that you take advantage of all of them then choose the one that best matches your personality, timeline and budget.

If you have any additional question, then just let me know.

Rich

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:29 am
Keep in mind that the GMAT is a test of your math and verbal skills AND it's a test of your test-taking skills, including time management, endurance, mindset, etc.

If your test-taking skills are holding you back, then you need to work on these.

We have a free GMAT time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244.

As part of your preparation, work on adopting the proper mindset/attitude on test day. To this end, you may be interested in reading the following articles:
- https://www.gmatprepnow.com/articles/min ... -destroyer
- https://www.gmatprepnow.com/articles/jun ... g-big-gmat

It's also possible that silly mistakes are hurting your score. If that's the case, then it's important that you identify and categorize these mistakes so that, during tests, you can easily spot situations in which you're prone to making errors. I write about this and other strategies in the following article: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/articles/avo ... teaks-gmat

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com