Help with B-Schools selection and admissions

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello all, I am very new to this site. Thank you all in advance for any suggestions/advice/tips

I am currently working in an oil company as an project engineer and i want to pursue an MBA degree.
Here is my profile:

-- BSc in Petroleum Engineering from UofAlberta (Alberta, Canada)GPA-2.8/4.0 (very bad GPA :( )
-- Graduated in 2013
-- Work as a project engineer for 2 years now (fulltime)
-- GMAT 740, AWA 5.0 (2014)
-- Canadian permanent resident, but English is not my first language. IELTS 8.0 (all bands over 7.0)

I still want to stay in Canada, but ill consider US schools for sure.
For canadian b-schools, i really want to go to Sauder UBC (First Choice). Other options are York Schulich, Haskayne UofCalgary, Rotman UofToronto, and Desautels McGill. I know UT and McGill probably wont give me offer.

For US schools, I haven't really looked into them yet, hopefully top 100. I'd like to have your opinions.

Again, thank you all very much. :)

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri May 01, 2015 8:02 am
Hi there! Thanks for sharing your information! Hats off on an amazing GMAT score! As you mentioned, your GPA is quite low, so your strong performance on your GMAT should give many adcoms the confidence that you have the analytical and problem solving skills to be successful at the graduate level. However, it will be an uphill battle for many of the top schools in both Canada and the US. I think a good place to start is to consider schools in the 25-50 for the US. To further hone in on several target schools, it would be great to learn more about your goals - both short and long term. Based on that, we can match your goals with some of the top schools in those fields, then further refine selection based on your background, unique traits, and experiences to match fit. Best of luck and let us know if you'd like to chat!
Last edited by CriticalSquareMBA on Fri May 01, 2015 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by Othello_de_Vere » Fri May 01, 2015 8:50 am
Thank you so much! :)

I havent really thought about my short term goals, but for the long run, i plan to advance towards general management to eventually become VP or president of a company.

I was targeting top 100 schools, i guess i can go a litter further. :p

Thank you again!

CriticalSquareMBA wrote:Hi there! Thanks for sharing your information! Hats off on an amazing GMAT score! As you mentioned, your GPA is quite low, so your strong performance on your GMAT should give many AdCom's the confidence that you have the analytical and problem solving skills to be successful at the graduate level. However, it will be an uphill battle for many of the top schools in both Canada and the US. I think a good place to start is to consider schools in the 25-50 for the US. To further hone in on several target schools, it would be great to learn more about your goals - both short and long term. Based on that, we can match your goals with some of the top schools in those fields, then further refine selection based on your background, unique traits, and experiences to match fit. Best of luck and let us know if you'd like to chat!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri May 01, 2015 9:00 am
So if you're looking at a pretty general path, then most MBAs will get you there. And what you'll need is brand recognition. So maybe even try for a few in the top 20 (with a 740 you gotta)! You definitely don't need to go south of the 50 range.

The 2.8 is of concern so if you can take a few alternate courses that would really help. We had a client with a 2.3 and a 730 get into two top 5s with close to full fellowships. Why? Primarily because of his extension courses. Well, that, and a solid story throughout his application. So you can be aggressive but you need to work towards a solid strategy.

Does that make sense?

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by Othello_de_Vere » Fri May 01, 2015 9:13 am
Yes it totally makes sense, and it sounds great haha
i was just very conservative because of my low GPA. Would you recommend that i take some b-courses in this year? Also, i am actually preparing for CFA level 1, and my target is to pass in this December.
Will that help as well?

Thanks!!!!!! :)

CriticalSquareMBA wrote:So if you're looking at a pretty general path, then most MBAs will get you there. And what you'll need is brand recognition. So maybe even try for a few in the top 20 (with a 740 you gotta)! You definitely don't need to go south of the 50 range.

The 2.8 is of concern so if you can take a few alternate courses that would really help. We had a client with a 2.3 and a 730 get into two top 5s with close to full fellowships. Why? Primarily because of his extension courses. Well, that, and a solid story throughout his application. So you can be aggressive but you need to work towards a solid strategy.

Does that make sense?

Bhavik

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri May 01, 2015 9:17 am
Yes and yes! Both will help. Try to take at least 3 extension courses. That, plus a CFA I, would be a great way to augment your grades. I mean, you'd be doing as much as possible and you'd be sending a really strong signal that you're serious.

Hope this was helpful!

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by Othello_de_Vere » Fri May 01, 2015 9:25 am
Thanks so so much!! This is SUPER helpful. :) You are awesome haha
CriticalSquareMBA wrote:Yes and yes! Both will help. Try to take at least 3 extension courses. That, plus a CFA I, would be a great way to augment your grades. I mean, you'd be doing as much as possible and you'd be sending a really strong signal that you're serious.

Hope this was helpful!

Bhavik

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri May 01, 2015 9:31 am
You are very welcome! Good luck!

Web | Facebook | Twitter