GMATPrep: 510. Need help

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMATPrep: 510. Need help

by royrijit1 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:54 am
Hello Experts,

I have been studying for GMAT for about 4 months now. I have MGMAT books to help me with the studies. Once done with the basic preparation (i.e. completing all the 10 books of MGMAT), I took the GMATPrep test today and scored a 510.

After taking the GMATPrep, I found that I am extremely slow in both Quant and Verbal (especially RC and CR) and I need to focus to improve my speed more than anything. I am planning to take the GMAT on first week of June and so I have around 2 months more to prepare.

Could you experts please guide me as to how I can effectively use this two month timeframe to prepare for the GMAT?

I am a working guy so I can devote 1.5 hours of study in the morning before leaving for office and in the night, I study for around 2 hours. I mostly study for around 8~10 hours each day in the weekends.

Books that I currently have:
OG 2015
OG Quant + Verbal Review
MGMAT: All 10 books
MGMAT: Advanced Quant
Kaplan Premier 2015

Thanks in advance for your kind help.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:25 am
Can you give us a little more info? Was this your first practice exam? What was the quant/verbal split on that GMATPrep test? When you say that you were slow on both sections, does that mean that you feel as though you consistently spent too much time on questions, or does that mean that there were a handful of questions that you got stuck on, and this caused a ripple effect on subsequent problems?

(And one quick observation: 8-10 hours/day on weekends is a lot of time. I fear this will lead to burn out. You might want to consider shortening those a bit. You should still live your life while you're preparing for the exam.)
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by royrijit1 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:51 am
Hi Dave,

Thanks a lot for your reply. This was the first timed practice exam. The score split is as below:
Total Score: 510 (Q35/V26). I am consistently spending too much time each question.

Earlier to this, when I took the GMAT Diagnostic Test, I figured I am spending approximately 4 minutes per question.

As for the 8/10 hours of study: I feel that in the weekdays, I cannot devote as much time as I should to studying so I utilize my weekends to catch up.

Considering my current situation, can you please guide as to how to effectively I can utilize my remaining two months to help me break the 700+ barrier.

Thanks in advance.

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:50 am
I'd start by doing a thorough analysis of that first CAT. Take note of anything that you missed or spent too much time on. Were quant questions giving you trouble because you didn't understand the underlying concept being tested, or were you doing a lot of tedious calculation/formal algebra when a strategy, such as picking numbers or back-solving, may have worked better? Were there patterns on the verbal? If anything is unclear, either post the question here, or check the archives to see if there's already a discussion available. Make it a goal to generate five concrete takeaways for both quant and verbal.

Once you establish some patterns, use the Official Guide and your prep books to practice any concepts that give you difficulty. Do the OG problems online so you get accustomed to the format and become comfortable dealing with time constraints. Note the time elapsed when you do practice questions - anything that takes over 3 minutes must be revisited. Again, make brief lists of takeaways/reminders.

Then take another practice test, keeping those takeaways in mind. Repeat the process with the new practice test. If your score jumps right away, the issue was probably just getting accustomed to the CAT format. If your score remains in the same general vicinity, let us know, and we'll offer advice accordingly.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:27 am
Hi royrijit1,

Since this is your first practice CAT, and you've taken a "book-heavy" study approach, your pacing problems are understandable. It's worth noting that pacing problems do NOT exist on their own though - they are the result of OTHER problems in how you're approaching this Test. Pacing does tend to improve with extra repetitions, but you have to determine WHY you're spending so much time on certain questions and work to fix those issues.

I have a few questions about this CAT:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) What time of day did you take this CAT?
3) How many questions did you have to guess on at the end of the Quant section? Did you leave any questions unanswered?
4) Did you have the same pacing problem during the Verbal section or did you finish early/on time?

5) What is your score goal?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by royrijit1 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:10 am
Dear Experts,

Thanks for your replies. I have already started reviewing my CAT by going through the problems and making sure I DID understand the underlying principles being tested. I am also keeping an eye out for any strategies that I could have applied but DID overlook.

Hi Rich,

When I first thought to take the GMAT 4 months back, I decided to have my Quant and Verbal concepts built before going through the OG problems. I have just finished all the MGMAT books and hence started with problem solving. I do understand I need to solve the entire OG atleast twice to gain familiarity with the GMAT question types. Below are the answers to your questions asked:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT (including the Essay and IR sections)?
A: Yes, But I didn't particularly pay much attention to the Essay and IR section. I thought I'll first build confidence on the core Quant and Verbal before moving to the Essay/IR. Am I wrong in this approach?

2) What time of day did you take this CAT?
A: I plan to take my GMAT in the morning slot and hence I took my CAT around 10:00 am.

3) How many questions did you have to guess on at the end of the Quant section? Did you leave any questions unanswered?
A: I left 2 questions unanswered and guessed around 10 questions towards the end.

4) Did you have the same pacing problem during the Verbal section or did you finish early/on time?
A: I had almost the same pacing problem in Verbal. SC was okay with me but I struggled in RC and CR; mostly RC.

I am planning to go through all the incorrectly answered questions and planing to start solving the OC rigorously to get familiar with the Quant and Verbal question types.

Please advise.

Again, thanks in advance.

by royrijit1 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:14 am
Hi Rich,

My target GMAT score is 720.

Thanks.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:43 pm
Hi royrijit1,

You've just discovered that doing well doing practice and putting together a strong overall performance over the length of a FULL CAT are different situations. To properly train for the GMAT, you have to take FULL-LENGTH CATs (including the Essay and IR sections) at regular intervals (1 CAT every 1-2 weeks), so that you can work on all of the little things can factor into Test Day (pacing, organization, endurance, battling fatigue, etc.).

With your remaining time, you should plan to take a CAT every week or so. You'll also need to get some study time in during the week. With a weekend-focused study routine, you're less likely to be efficient and retain the information that you need.

After reviewing this CAT and doing some additional practice, you should plan to take another FULL-LENGTH CAT soon. With those score results, we can see if you're able to fix some of your problem areas and improve on your own. If your score stays 'flat' for the next couple of weeks, then some serious changes are probably in order. Trying to improve 200 points in 2 months is not an easy task, but it is doable.

Rich

by royrijit1 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:31 pm
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your reply. I am currently practicing the OG questions in a timed approach and I plan to take the OG in a couple of weeks. Will share the score.

Thanks for the guidance.

by royrijit1 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:10 pm
Hello Experts,

I took my second CAT today (MGMAT) and scored 590 (Q39/V32). My earlier (GMATPrep) score, taken exactly 2 weeks before was 510 (Q35/V26).

I spent the last two weeks solving OG problems sets (although I am yet to entirely complete the OG problems!)

Few observations:

Quant was comparatively better for me this time. I struggled in testing cases in DS (it took a lot of time) and I also struggled choosing smart numbers (mainly in percent related problems). I did guess few problems mid way but was able to complete the Quant with 1 minute remaining to solve the last Quant problem.

Verbal seemed better than Quant. RC, which was a nightmare for me in my first CAT, looked friendlier. CR and SC were okay to tackle. I did, however, guess few questions in this section too.

With the recent score, please comment on how I'm currently preparing and how I can improve more. I still plan to take the GMAT on the first week of June.

While I wait for your expert comments, I will continue to solve the OG (both Quant and Verbal) and keep a track of my timing.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:41 am
Hi royrijit1,

This recent CAT score is a nice improvement over your initial CAT score. You should plan to review this CAT in much the same way that you reviewed that first one - identify WHY you got questions wrong and put some effort into fixing those issues.

You mentioned that you were planning to take the GMAT in the first week of June. Is that still the case (have you scheduled your Test)?

With a little over 6 weeks to go, you're in a decent position to hit your score goals. At this point though, everything's going to get a little harder. Just because you improved 80 points on this CAT does not necessarily mean that you'll improve another 80 points on your next CAT. The GMAT (and by extension, these practice CATs) always give you the score that you EARN, so you have to keep putting in the work and earn those points.

Rich