Answered Wrong in CAT but Right on Review-Suggestions Welcom

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello All,

I hope there are a few people out there who have either experienced what I am about to discuss below or people who currently experience it and the suggestions that come, help us all.

After taking CAT, and during the process of reviewing the CAT, I always attempt to solve/answer all the question first before looking up the correct answer (especially questions I got wrong). My (review success) rate is about 85%, which means I correctly answer most of the questions right.

Most times, I find out that I missed it because I did not recognise a specific item or could not connect a chain of thoughts during the CAT.

I have improved from where I was when I started but are there any recommendations or suggestions that people who have had this issue or from the experts. Is there a way to shake the brain to be in "FULL" mode when doing a CAT.

I now keep an error log, is it worthwhile going through the whole error log before doing a new CAT?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:04 am
Hi Tmoni26,

Most Test Takers experience the exact situation that you're describing, so you're not alone. For some people, anxiety is an issue... but for most people, the issue is more of a 'mechanical' problem (how you go about doing the work that is necessary to answer the question).

You say that you sometimes "miss" something, but did you really miss it while you were reading OR did you not remember it when you started to do your work? It's probably the latter. You can combat that by taking more notes, labeling your work and staying organized. The note-taking process is actually really easy, but you'd be amazed how many Test Takers simply choose not to do it. You're NEVER expected to do work in your head, so DON'T. Use the pad.

Failure to connect ideas is also tied to lack of note-taking. It's tough to connect concepts when you can't physically see them.

Consider the following example:

"The sum of X-squared and Y-squared is twice the product of X and Y"

You might read this over and over and not "see" what it really represents. Try writing it down algebraically.... You should end up with this....

[spoiler]X^2 + Y^2 = 2XY[/spoiler]

Now, what does THAT remind you of? You should be thinking that it's a Classic Quadratic. What can you next do with it....? And can you factor it? WRITE IT DOWN.

You've probably already realized that the work involved in most questions is not that hard, so you have to put in the extra effort to make sure that you're making everything as easy to handle as possible.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Tmoni26 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:47 am
Hey Rich,

Thanks a lot, you nailed it on the head. I agree with you on the note taking, that's a better way to attack this questions

And yes, most times, the questions are not the hardest but the main work is "sifting" through the information to get to the "core" of the question.

But we shall overcome...

Once again, thanks...

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:30 pm
Two very simple explanations for this disparity in making connections between test-mode and review-mode: timing and breathing.

While you're taking a CAT under time constraints, you need to employ good investment-style decision-making; you can't and shouldn't invest your time in every problem. Some will simply take too long to be worth your time. When you're reviewing, though, the timer isn't on, so it's perfectly logical that you solve more questions when you allow yourself more time. This isn't an issue. Just ask yourself while you're reviewing - what should I have recognized to make this connection faster? Or did I make the right choice to guess and move on?

The other issue (and I know this will sound cheesy/New Age-y, but bear with me): breathing. Most people under timing pressure start breathing faster and more shallowly than they normally do (a standard fight-or-flight response). When you're doing this, though, you're a) not getting as much oxygen to your brain, and b) telling your body to enter panic mode. Both of these things make you a lot less able to evaluate questions thoughtfully and creatively. You'll get knee-jerk reactions to the easier stuff, but you won't be as able to make connections on the harder stuff.

My recommendation for all of my students: take a moment to take one DEEP BREATH with every new question. You'll be surprised at how much of a difference it makes!
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education