Need your guidance Experts

Figure out where you wish to apply
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

Need your guidance Experts

by Abhijit K » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:37 pm
Hi,

I took the GMAT yesterday and scored a 700(Q47/V39). I would like to aask you people whether my score is good enough to apply to top 20 b schools in the world for mba finance.

Also please let me know how i should shortlist b schools that i should apply to.

Thanks..

Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:15 am
Hi,

Congratulations for scoring 700 in GMAT. Your score is below average and on par with most of the top 20 B-schools in Finance. Most of these B-schools look at overall profile and they don't reject or shortlist you based on only your GMAT score. Please share more details about your profile, extra curriculars, work experience, academics and also you need to shortlist b-schools mainly on 3 parameters that is 1) depending on post MBA career goals, which sector you want to get into since you have mentioned your interest in Finance you can consider applying to top schools in finance like Wharton, Chicago Booth, NYU Stern, LBS, Columbia, Rochester Simon, Tepper, Rotman 2) based on the Geographic region (US, UK, Europe, Canada, Asia Pacific region) 3) B-school ranking. Let me know if you have any questions, you can also try this free tool B-school selector by clicking here https://goo.gl/XI96YI

Regards
Manish
Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]

by Abhijit K » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:32 am
Dear Sir,

As far as academics are concerned I am a Chartered Accountant from India and have also passed CFA Level 1

I have a work experience of 18 months in the field of MIS & Budgeting, Costing and Accounts Finalisation. Have also worked with Deloitte for 3 years as an intern

I am a little weak on the extra curriculars part

Is my profile competitive enough to be applying to the top 20 b schools or should I retake the GMAT?

Regards,
Abhijit K.

Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:20 am
Abhijit K wrote:Dear Sir,

As far as academics are concerned I am a Chartered Accountant from India and have also passed CFA Level 1

I have a work experience of 18 months in the field of MIS & Budgeting, Costing and Accounts Finalisation. Have also worked with Deloitte for 3 years as an intern

Is my profile competitive enough to be applying to the top 20 b schools or should I retake the GMAT?

Regards,
Abhijit K.
Hi Abhijit,

You have diverse and competitive profile for top 20 B-schools, just one suggestion to make it more stronger is to gain one more year experience and then you are at the right stage. If you are confident that you will improve minimum 30 points in your GMAT score then plan to retake otherwise it won't make much impact. Focus mainly on building your profile for the next one year and then apply with solid profile.

Regards
Manish
Director (ISB Alumnus)
General Education - India's premier GMAT & Application Consulting company

Get Advice: +91- 90350 50056 | Email Us: [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:332 members

by Jon@Admissionado » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:14 am
Abhijit K wrote:Dear Sir,

Regards,
Abhijit K.
Abhijit,
Well it depends on lots of other factors too. A 700 + Accounting is no guarantee for Top 20 for an Indian candidate because the pool is so huge. It depends WHERE you worked, WHAT you did, WHERE you studied, what your GRADES are, etc.

The GMAT alone will not get you in,
Best,
Jon
"Hands down the best MBA admissions consulting firm of all-time, and boy, what an incredible founder!" -- Raj Patil, Founder of Admissionado

Something for everyone:
https://admissionado.lpages.co/admissio ... nter-2018/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/50-essay ... ked-vol-4/
https://admissionado.lpages.co/case-studies-lp/
https://admissionado.com/mba/reviews/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Admis ... 700945.htm

Reach out, and let's gab. Our only requirement is that you don't prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 866-409-4753
Hit us up on WhatsApp.
Ping our satellite: 0884#&@-2#101101
Contact us via web form you lazy git: https://admissionado.com/contact/
Mostly, email Claudia.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by manavforum » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:51 pm
Hello, Abhijit
Visit https://www.mbabychoice.com to get help.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:24 am
Hi Abhijit,

Definitely agree with Jon on this one. What has your experience been as an accountant? In what capacity do you operate? What have you achieved? What initiatives do you lead? Have you demonstrated career growth during your time there?

Your lack of involvement is a gap that needs to be addressed - this is an area that gives you an opportunity to stand out, and given the pool you'll be considered from, you need every chance at standing out. Also, while a 700 GMAT is respectable, you might want to consider retaking to get to 730+.

Here's the good news - you are young. You have a bit of time to get comfortable enough with the test to boost your score while building a stronger reputation at your firm and demonstrating your value. Finally, I can't stress enough the importance of involvement outside of work. If top 20 is your goal, take the time to find something you're passionate about and challenge yourself to lead an initiative or two to really make an impact.

Hope this helps!

Best,
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by Abhijit K » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:01 am
Dear Sirs,

Can anyone please evaluate my profile for Indian School of Business?

Also please guide me to understand the admission process for ISB.

Attaching my Resume for your kind perusal.

Your help will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Abhijit K.
Attachments
CA Abhijit K-Resume.docx
(28.55 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by [email protected] » Wed May 13, 2015 3:42 am
Hey,
Just checked your resume.
You are a CA
Have sound article ship exp..(in delloite)
have 2 yr exp..now in Accounting etc..
u know about the latest management IT systems too...MIS, SAP

U have absolutley nothing to worrry...u have enough amount of matter on your resume to build yr application.
Keep in mind the main qualities the B school asks for...
and accordingly dig out events and expereiences from your resume and leverage yr application.

U have enough material to help your application.
There are essays in the ISB application..
take some time to look inwards..think of your goals..
what you want to do post the one year in ISB..
think over all the essay topics..and frame dem over a period of a few weeks carefully synchronising the B school needs ...the b schools basic founding principles..and your qualities.

well that is the mantra for writing your essays and building your resume.
Look within and prepare strategically.

All the best!!
sumit