not convinced by OA

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

not convinced by OA

by shiromani » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:37 am
In 1986, the city of Los Diablos had 20 days on which air pollution reached unhealthful amounts and a smog alert was put into effect. In early 1987, new air pollution control measures were enacted, but the city had smog alerts on 31 days that year and on 39 days the following year. In 1989, however, the number of smog alerts in Los Diablos dropped to sixteen. The main air pollutants in Los Diablos are ozone and carbon monoxide, and since 1986 the levels of both have been monitored by gas spectrography.

Which of the following statements, assuming that each is true, would be LEAST helpful in explaining the air pollution levels in Los Diablos between 1986 and 1989?
(A) The 1987 air pollution control measures enacted in Los Diablos were put into effect in November of 1988.
(B) In December of 1988 a new and far more accurate gas spectrometer was invented.
(C) In February of 1989, the Pollution Control Board of Los Diablos revised the scale used to determine the amount of air pollution considered unhealthful.
(D) In 1988 the mayor of Los Diablos was found to have accepted large campaign donations from local industries and to have exempted those same industries from air pollution control measures.
(E) Excess ozone and carbon monoxide require a minimum of two years to break down naturally in the atmosphere above a given area.

OA is B

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by gmattarget700 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:51 am
A, D, E are simple to eliminate

I was little unsure between B and C. but when I re-read C, I realized that C definitely helps, as it talks about revising the scale to measure the pollution

B is the answer because it just talks about invention of "more accurate gas spectrometer" but it remains neutral on the pollution level or scale etc...

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by ajith » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:26 am
gmattarget700 wrote:A, D, E are simple to eliminate

I was little unsure between B and C. but when I re-read C, I realized that C definitely helps, as it talks about revising the scale to measure the pollution

B is the answer because it just talks about invention of "more accurate gas spectrometer" but it remains neutral on the pollution level or scale etc...
I certainly agree that we have to choose between B and C

At first I was tempted to choose C - but on second looks it helps slightly in explaining the drop
B on the other hand doesnt help at all, it doesnt even explain whether this newly invented spectrometer was installed in the city

So, finally it looks like B
Always borrow money from a pessimist, he doesn't expect to be paid back.

Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

by komal » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:58 pm
shiromani wrote:In 1986, the city of Los Diablos had 20 days on which air pollution reached unhealthful amounts and a smog alert was put into effect. In early 1987, new air pollution control measures were enacted, but the city had smog alerts on 31 days that year and on 39 days the following year. In 1989, however, the number of smog alerts in Los Diablos dropped to sixteen. The main air pollutants in Los Diablos are ozone and carbon monoxide, and since 1986 the levels of both have been monitored by gas spectrography.

Which of the following statements, assuming that each is true, would be LEAST helpful in explaining the air pollution levels in Los Diablos between 1986 and 1989?

(A) The 1987 air pollution control measures enacted in Los Diablos were put into effect in November of 1988.
Incorrect : Helps in explaining how air pollution must have dropped after nov 1988

(B) In December of 1988 a new and far more accurate gas spectrometer was invented.
Correct : Spectrometer was invented in dec 1988 but it may not have been taken into service to measure the levels.

(C) In February of 1989, the Pollution Control Board of Los Diablos revised the scale used to determine the amount of air pollution considered unhealthful.
Incorrect : Helps in explaining drop in smog alerts

(D) In 1988 the mayor of Los Diablos was found to have accepted large campaign donations from local industries and to have exempted those same industries from air pollution control measures.
Incorrect : This does not give any reason that tells that the smog level will decrease in 1989...Rather it could increase because of the relief on these pollution releasing industries

(E) Excess ozone and carbon monoxide require a minimum of two years to break down naturally in the atmosphere above a given area.
Incorrect : Makes sense, but it does not have to do anything with the main part of the question. It is a little out of scope.

Hope this helps : )

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by thephoenix » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:05 pm
shiromani wrote:In 1986, the city of Los Diablos had 20 days on which air pollution reached unhealthful amounts and a smog alert was put into effect. In early 1987, new air pollution control measures were enacted, but the city had smog alerts on 31 days that year and on 39 days the following year. In 1989, however, the number of smog alerts in Los Diablos dropped to sixteen. The main air pollutants in Los Diablos are ozone and carbon monoxide, and since 1986 the levels of both have been monitored by gas spectrography.

OA is B
let's brk the argument
1986:smog alert on 20 days
1987:new air pollution control measures were enacted, but the city had smog alerts on 31 days that year
1988:smog alert 39 days
1989:16 alert
after enacting the mesaures alerts shud be less
but its inc so there must have been sme thng behind this
our task is to find the one which does not support the abv reason
A)this may be one reason for diff in no....so not our ans
b)it supports for 1989 low no...but not the high no of 1988 and 1987..........strng contender
c)this may be one reason for the diff in no..
d)this may be one reason for the diff in no..
e)irrelevant

hence B is the ans

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by kutlee » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:00 am
komal wrote:
shiromani wrote: (E) Excess ozone and carbon monoxide require a minimum of two years to break down naturally in the atmosphere above a given area.
Incorrect : Makes sense, but it does not have to do anything with the main part of the question. It is a little out of scope.

Hope this helps : )
I think option E might explain why some part of pollutants that were released in 1986 broke down and helped in reducing the Pollution level in 1989. I guess there is a two year gap.