Please rate this AWA and give me your reviews

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
ESSAY QUESTION:
The following appeared in the editorial section of a local newspaper:

"The inflow of immigrant workers into our community has put a downward pressure on wages. In fact, the average compensation of unskilled labor in our city has declined by nearly 10% over the past 5 years. Therefore, to protect our local economy, it is essential to impose a moratorium on further immigration."

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. Point out flaws in the argument's logic and analyze the argument's underlying assumptions. In addition, evaluate how supporting evidence is used and what evidence might counter the argument's conclusion. You may also discuss what additional evidence could be used to strengthen the argument or what changes would make the argument more logically sound.

YOUR RESPONSE:
The author states that we need to impose a moratorium on further immigration of workers to protect our local economy. While proving his point the author makes a number of assumptions and provides us with statistical data to support his argument. However, his argument is flawed because of faulty assumptions and inappropriate statistics.

The first assumption made by the author is that all immigrant workers coming into the country are unskilled workers. If the number of skilled workers immigrating into the country is quiet large then the statistics provided by the author are misleading. The fall in average consumption of unskilled labour cant be because of immigration as the immigrants are major skilled workers.

Another assumption made by the author is that only downward pressure on wages is creating problems for the local economy and it need to be protected only from downward pressure on wages. However, there can be other factors that create problems for the local economy like restriction on foreign trade, political instability, communal riots, etc.

The third assumption made by the author is that there is enough labour force in the country to satisfy the local economy's demand. In case, where there is not enough local labour force the production of goods in the country will be hampered causing further hurdles in the local economies growth. If immigration of labour is allowed enough labour force will be available for production of goods and services and the economy will have a better GDP.

Therefore, because of the faulty assumptions made by the author and inappropriate statistics used to state his argument the authors argument is flawed. He needs to provide details of local labour force available, number of unskilled workers immigrating to support his argument. As the argument stands now it is flawed because of faulty reasoning

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:26 members

by Katharine@GMATPrepNow » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:42 am
Hello Abhijit,

I hope you find these comments helpful as you study.

Writing: I caught a few mistakes: using "quiet" instead of "quite," "cant" instead of "can't," "major skilled," etc. If you leave time for a quick read-through before submitting your essay, you'll probably catch some of these mistakes. I wasn't sure what you meant by "downward pressure on wages is creating problems for the local economy and it need to be protected," because the subject/verb agreement wasn't correct. I'd recommend always saving a few minutes to read over your essay to proofread and look for mistakes.

Structure: Your intro paragraph had a concise summary of the argument in the prompt, which showed that you understood the essay question. The conclusion also restated the key flaws and showed that the argument needs to be improved. The body paragraphs were not as strong, because you didn't address all of the flaws that you pointed out in the intro.

Arguments/Examples: As I mentioned before, your body paragraphs were not so strong. In your intro, you said that the argument was flawed due to "faulty assumptions and inappropriate statistics," but you didn't include any statistics in your body paragraphs. It's all right to call out poor use of statistics, but you'll have to back that statement up with an example. The other examples you used were suitable.

Suggestions for Improvement: Leave time to proofread so you can check your essay for mistakes. If you mention a specific flaw in your intro, make sure that you address the flaw in your body paragraphs. I'd put this essay in the 3-4 range: points were lost for writing mistakes and issues in the body paragraphs.
Katharine Rudzitis - BA
on hiatus until further notice
We have plans to suit every learning style and budget:
- Self-directed video course
- Private online tutoring from 99th-percentile experts
- Combination packages with video course & private tutoring
- Every plan includes 5 full-length practice tests
- Use our video course with Beat The GMAT's free 60-Day Study Guide
- We have dozens of free videos to try out before buying