OG#13 PS 218 - Is this prob really doable within 2 mins ?

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
The following question from OG - Is this really doable in around 2 mins? Do we have any way other than how it is explained in the guide ?

"218. List T consists of 30 positive decimals, none of which is an integer, and the sum of the 30 decimals is S. The estimated sum of the 30 decimals, E, is defined as follows. Each decimal in T whose tenths digit is even is rounded up to the nearest integer, and each decimal in T whose tenths digit is odd is rounded down to the nearest integer; E is the sum of the resulting integers. If of the decimals in T have a tenths digit that is even, which of the following is a possible value of E - S ?

I. -16
II. 6
III. 10
(A) I only
(B) I and II only
(C) I and III only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III"

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:45 pm
utkalnayak wrote:The following question from OG - Is this really doable in around 2 mins? Do we have any way other than how it is explained in the guide ?

"218. List T consists of 30 positive decimals, none of which is an integer, and the sum of the 30 decimals is S. The estimated sum of the 30 decimals, E, is defined as follows. Each decimal in T whose tenths digit is even is rounded up to the nearest integer, and each decimal in T whose tenths digit is odd is rounded down to the nearest integer; E is the sum of the resulting integers. If 1/3 of the decimals in T have a tenths digit that is even, which of the following is a possible value of E - S ?

I. -16
II. 6
III. 10
(A) I only
(B) I and II only
(C) I and III only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III"
It took me maybe a little longer than two minutes. I did have to track down the problem to find out what fraction of the tenths digits are positive. So that interfered with getting a clear sense of how much time it took.

In any case I was able to pretty quickly do it in my head the following way.

The lowest number that the even tenths digit could be is 0. Then somewhere below that there has to be another decimal place. Whatever that other digit is, it has to be greater than 0 for the number to not be an integer. For example one of the numbers could be 4.0001. So if I round 4.0001 up I get 5, which is just under 1 more than 4.0001.

So I got pretty clear that the most I can gain from rounding up each number is just under 1, and there are ten of them to be rounded up, so the most I can get from rounding up is just under 10.

The rest are rounded down. So given that the most up I can go is less than 10, I immediately realize that E cannot be 10 greater than S. So III is out.

So from there I moved to considering II. Well we can almost get 10. Can we get 6?

The lowest round down is in the case of a decimal with 1 as the tenths digit. That rounds down .1 for each of 20. So the minimum is 20 x .1 = 2 The max is.99999999. 20 x .99999999 is just under 20. So anything between those is fair game.

So if we round up almost 10 total and we can round down any number from 2 to almost 20, we can round up almost 10 and round down almost 4 and get 6. So II works.

The minimum round up is from .89999999, for a round up of just over .1. So you can pretty quickly figure out that 10 times that is not very big, around 1. So we have max round down of just under 20 and minimum round up of some number around 1. So -16 is possible and I works.

Not sure if that's different from the OG method. Anyway, it's done.

Choose B.

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:53 pm
P.S.

I realized afterward that there could possibly have been impossible numbers. Fortunately 10 and 20 times decimals can create numbers that add up to 6 and -16. So I got it right. Maybe I kinda knew that in the back of my mind, and if the numbers were a little freakier, rather than 6 and - 16, maybe 7.3 and -13.7, I would have been more careful to check. Then again, probably that would not be a two minute problem.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:59 am
List T consists of 30 positive decimals, none of which is an integer, and the sum of the 30 decimals is S. The estimated sum of the 30 decimals, E, is defined as follows. Each decimal in T whose tenths digit is even is rounded up to the nearest integer, and each decimal in T whose tenths digit is odd is rounded down to the nearest integer; E is the sum of the resulting integers. If 1/3 of the decimals in T have a tenths digit that is even, which of the following is a possible value of E - S?

I. -16
II. 6
III. 10

A) I
B) I and II
C) I and III
D) II and III only
E) I, II and III
The first time I saw this problem, here's what I thought:
"You've got to be kidding me."
While the actual math is not overly complex, I suspect that many test-takers will take more than 2 minutes simply trying to understand what the problem is asking.
The vast majority of test-takers should DUMP this problem.
Remember:
If you dump a problem that you cannot answer correctly, you RAISE YOUR SCORE -- by giving yourself more time for the problems that you CAN answer correctly.

That said, here is my solution:

Make the problem CONCRETE by plugging in easy values.
10 of the values must have a tenths digit that is EVEN, while the other 20 values must have a tenths digit that is ODD.
To make the math easy, let's not consider decimals beyond the tenths place.
Try to MAXIMIZE E-S and MINIMIZE E-S.

E-S MAXIMIZED:
To MAXIMIZE the value of E-S, we must MINIMIZE the value of S.
To minimize S, we must ROUND UP the even decimals as MUCH as possible (from .2 to the next highest integer) and ROUND DOWN the odd decimals as LITTLE as possible (from .1 to the next smallest integer).
Let S = 10(.2) + 20(.1) = 4.
In E, .2 is rounded up to 1 and .1 is rounded down to 0:
E = 10(1) + 20(0) = 10.
Thus, the MAXIMUM possible value of E-S = 10-4 = 6.

E-S MINIMIZED:
To MINIMIZE the value of E-S, we must MAXIMIZE the value of S.
To maximize S, we must ROUND UP the even decimals as LITTLE as possible (from .8 to the next highest integer) and ROUND DOWN the odd decimals as MUCH as possible (from .9 to the next smallest integer).
Let S = 10(.8) + 20(.9) = 26.
In E, .8 is rounded up to 1 and .9 is rounded down to 0:
E = 10(1) + 20(0) = 10.
Thus, the MINIMUM possible value of E-S = 10-26 = -16.

Since the MAXIMUM difference is 6 and the MINIMUM difference is -16, only I and II are possible values of E-S.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:45 am
This is not a question that the GMAT expects you to do in 2 minutes. I fully agree with Mitch - this is a question that most savvy test-takers (even those aiming for a 700+) should SKIP! The GMAT designs a certain number of questions to be too hard to reasonably solve, primarily for 2 reasons: 1) to bog down the stubborn students who insist on solving every problem, and 2) to make distinctions between 780 and 800 level test takers. (There have to be some questions at the crazy-high end of the spectrum!).

If you're not aiming for a 780 or above, this kind of question isn't worth your time. You can still score well above a 700 if you skip questions like this - in fact, you're probably more likely to get a 700+ if you do!

Remember - the GMAT is above all a decision-making test, and there will be plenty of times that the best decision you can make is to skip an excruciatingly hard question, to save time for other questions that you can get.
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:22 members

by Jeff@TargetTestPrep » Tue May 12, 2015 6:04 am
utkalnayak wrote:The following question from OG - Is this really doable in around 2 mins? Do we have any way other than how it is explained in the guide ?

"218. List T consists of 30 positive decimals, none of which is an integer, and the sum of the 30 decimals is S. The estimated sum of the 30 decimals, E, is defined as follows. Each decimal in T whose tenths digit is even is rounded up to the nearest integer, and each decimal in T whose tenths digit is odd is rounded down to the nearest integer; E is the sum of the resulting integers. If of the decimals in T have a tenths digit that is even, which of the following is a possible value of E - S ?

I. -16
II. 6
III. 10
(A) I only
(B) I and II only
(C) I and III only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III"
Solution:

I, too, agree with everyone's sentiments about the difficulty of this question. If you see something like this on the exam and if you don't know how to solve it, or if you spend more than two minutes trying to solve it, you should probably skip it and focus your attention on other problems.

When reading through this question, notice that we are asked which of the following is a POSSIBLE value of E - S. This tells us that we will not be looking for a definite answer here.

We are given that list T has 30 decimals, and that the sum of this list is S.

Next we are given that each decimal whose tenths digit is even is rounded up to the nearest integer and each decimal whose tenths digit is odd is rounded down to the nearest integer.

We are next given that E is the sum of these resulting integers.

Finally, we are given that 1/3 of the decimals in list T have a tenths digit that is even. This this means that 2/3 have a tenths digit that is odd. This means we have 10 decimals with an even tenths digit and 20 decimals with an odd tenths digit.

This is very helpful because we are going to use all this information to create a RANGE of values. We will calculate both the maximum value of E - S and the minimum value of E - S.

Another way to say this is that we want the maximum value of the sum of our estimated value in list T minus the sum of the actual values in list T and also the minimum value of the sum of the estimate values in list T minus the sum of the actual values in list T. Thus, we need to determine the largest estimated values and the smallest estimated values for the decimals in list T.

To do this, let's go back to some given information:

Each decimal whose tenths digit is even is rounded up to the nearest integer.

Each decimal whose tenths digit is odd is rounded down to the nearest integer.

Let's first compute the maximum estimated values for the decimals in list T. To get this, we want our 10 decimals with an even tenths digit to be rounded UP as MUCH as possible and we want our 20 decimals with an odds tenths digit to be rounded DOWN as LITTLE as possible. Thus, we can use decimals of 1.2 (for the even tenths place) and 1.1 (for the odd tenths place). Let's first calculate S, or the sum of the 30 decimals. We know we have 10 decimals of 1.2 and 20 decimals of 1.1, so we can say:

S = 10(1.2) + 20(1.1) = 12 + 22 = 34

Now we can round up 1.2 to the nearest integer and round down 1.1. We see that 1.2 rounded up to the nearest integer is 2, and 1.1 rounded down to the nearest integer is 1. So now we can calculate E, or the sum of the resulting integers. We can say:

E = 10(2) + 20(1) = 20 + 20 = 40

Thus, the maximum value of E - S, in this case, is 40 - 34 = 6.

Let's next compute the minimum estimated values for the decimals in list T. To get this we want our 10 decimals with an even tenths digit to be rounded UP as LITTLE as possible and we want out 20 decimals with an odds tenths digit to be rounded DOWN as MUCH as possible. Thus, we can use decimals of 1.8 (for the even tenths place) and 1.9 (for the odd tenths place). Let's first calculate S, or the sum of the 30 decimals. We know we have 10 decimals of 1.2 and 20 decimals of 1.1, so we can say:

S = 10(1.8) + 20(1.9) = 18 + 38 = 56

Now we can round up 1.8 to the nearest integer and round down 1.9 to the nearest integer. 1.8 rounded up to the nearest integer is 2, and 1.9 rounded down to the nearest integer is 1. So now we can calculate E, or the sum of the resulting integers, so we can say:

E = 10(2) + 20(1) = 20 + 20 = 40

Thus, the minimum value of E - S, in this case, is 40 - 56 = -16.

Thus, the possible range of E - S is between -16 and 6, inclusive. We see that I and II fall within this range.

The answer is B

Jeffrey Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews