Earthquake in my brain!! GMAT beats me!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Let me give a brief summary about myself. I was planning to write my post as "Yes I beat it" however the reality have slapped my face since sunday several times. I have started to study GMAT before approximately 4 months ago. I spent 1-1.5 hours during weekdays and 4-5 hours during weekend. Since I have graduated from one of the best universities in Turkey, I was so confident about my math talents. I studied only using OG13 and Manhattan GMAT books. OG13 and MGMAT's math questions seems so easy to me and I had no problem with both of them.

However, as a non-native speaker, I was sure about facing obstacles with Verbal part. After solving questions of OG13 and OG Verbal review, I have realized that I am pretty good with CR and RC. My success ratio for both section ( I used timer during solving questions) was somewhere around %70-%80. Sentence Correction part raised some questions in my mind because in each 10 bucket question, depend on my mood, I was making at least 5 or at max 8 questions correct. Since I am planning to apply in Round 2 in this year, I decided to take a real exam on 27 Nov.

For this reason, I took one week off from my work. I started to spend all my day for GMAT from Saturday. I should also state that, as a mistake which I am realizing right now, I have never solved a full CAT untill Sunday. Sunday morning I woke up, made a good breakfeast and started with MGMAT CAT-1. I felt that something goes wrong during the exam because I spent a lot of time on a math question and it made me nervous. As a result, I could not complete all questions in Quant and Verbal parts. This stress and anxiety helix still follows me and I can not solve even easy questions. I want to give my score summar below.

MGMAT CAT1 (Q39 V27)-540
MGMAT CAT2 (Q45 V31)-620
MGMAT CAT3 (Q40 V28)-560
MGMAT CAT4 (Q39 V31)-580
MGMAT CAT5 (Q42 V29)-580
GMAT PREP (Q45 V24)-570

I needed a score over 680 in order to apply B-Schools in my target. However, I took the GMAT today and scored 620 (Q47 V30 IR6). I have studied a lot and devoted a serious effort for it but still somehow i could not achieve my target score.During the exam I got behind six verbal and six quant questions and chose an answer choice randomly.

I am really lost, dissappointed and frustrated. I lost all my confidence and it seems i am in the edge of a cliff!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:44 am
First of all, step away from the proverbial cliff.

Second, it's important to note that you actually did BETTER than your practice tests indicate. Based on your last 4 test scores of 560 to 580, it seemed that you were destined to score something in the high 500's, so 620 is pretty good.

Third, with an average practice test score around 580, it's extremely unlikely that anyone could score 680+ on test day. I typically suggest that students achieve their target score on at least 2 practice tests before they take the official test.

It looks like time-management did you in. Being behind 6 questions can dramatically increase your stress level, which will further kill your score.

My advice: Go easy on yourself. Take a week or two off to recharge your batteries. And get back on the horse.

Finally, regarding time management: I suggest that you use the following Milestone Charts to keep you on track:
We (at GMAT Prep Now) feel that these times are easily remembered so you can quickly jot them on your noteboard on test day.

This (and more) is covered in our free GMAT time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:47 am
One more thing: if you're interested, we have a free video on the topic on overcoming test anxiety: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1252

As part of managing anxiety, it's crucial that you adopt the proper mindset/attitude on test day (AND leading up to test day). To this end, you may be interested in reading the following BTG articles:
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2013/06/ ... -destroyer
- https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/04/ ... n-the-gmat

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by bagcanbabayigit » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:31 am
Brent@GMATPrepNow wrote:First of all, step away from the proverbial cliff.

Second, it's important to note that you actually did BETTER than your practice tests indicate. Based on your last 4 test scores of 560 to 580, it seemed that you were destined to score something in the high 500's, so 620 is pretty good.

Third, with an average practice test score around 580, it's extremely unlikely that anyone could score 680+ on test day. I typically suggest that students achieve their target score on at least 2 practice tests before they take the official test.

It looks like time-management did you in. Being behind 6 questions can dramatically increase your stress level, which will further kill your score.

My advice: Go easy on yourself. Take a week or two off to recharge your batteries. And get back on the horse.

Finally, regarding time management: I suggest that you use the following Milestone Charts to keep you on track:
We (at GMAT Prep Now) feel that these times are easily remembered so you can quickly jot them on your noteboard on test day.

This (and more) is covered in our free GMAT time management video at https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?id=1244

Cheers,
Brent

Hi Brent,

Thank you so much for your support and kind reply. To be honest I was planning to apply in Round 2 but it seems i have to delay it for one year. As an international student, it seems Round3 will be a lot more competitive for me. Although I am confident with my CV and work experience, almost 7 years in Deloitte, Coca-Cola, P&G and now in IKEA, my GMAT Score may put me back in this competitive round.

My other choice will be to apply my target schools,which are Yale,Tuck,Cornell,Tepper and Kenan Flagler, with this GMAT Score and give a guarantee to them about increasing it till the end of January. In this option, to be honest, I am not sure whether I can improve my score somewhere around 700. Based on your deep experiences, will you offer me to get such a risk? Is it possible for a candidate to increase his/her score in one month?
I am asking this question since it seems I have to show an extraordinary performance in Verbal section. Today I have realized once again, I can handle Quant part somehow. I am %100 sure that if I had completed remaining six questions within time limits, my Quant score would have been 48 or 49. However I am not sure about a significant improvement in Verbal part in just one month.

Can you please advice me whether I should set a new challenge to myself for the next two months?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:09 am
Hi bagcanbabayigit,

While you're probably not feeling too good right now, a 620 is an above-average performance. If your work experience is as strong as you say and you put the rest of your application together correctly, then you might receive an invitation from some of the school's that you're planning to apply to.

If you do plan to retest, then you will need to make some adjustments to your study plan. I'm hoping that you can answer a couple of questions about how you've studied so far:

1) Other than the books that you mentioned, did you use any other GMAT resources?
2) You mentioned that you started taking full CATs with MGMAT CAT-1. Did you take all of these CATs in the last week before your GMAT?

The pacing problems that you experienced on Test Day were due to a combination of factors, the largest of which was probably that you were simply not properly prepared to face the full Test. While it's possible to improve in a short period of time if you have the proper resources and can adjust your tactics, you've been studying a certain way for so long that it will take some time to replace your "bad habits" with proper tactics.

If you were planning to apply for Round 3, then what would be the latest date that you could schedule your GMAT?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by bagcanbabayigit » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:25 am
[email protected] wrote:Hi bagcanbabayigit,

While you're probably not feeling too good right now, a 620 is an above-average performance. If your work experience is as strong as you say and you put the rest of your application together correctly, then you might receive an invitation from some of the school's that you're planning to apply to.

If you do plan to retest, then you will need to make some adjustments to your study plan. I'm hoping that you can answer a couple of questions about how you've studied so far:

1) Other than the books that you mentioned, did you use any other GMAT resources?
2) You mentioned that you started taking full CATs with MGMAT CAT-1. Did you take all of these CATs in the last week before your GMAT?

The pacing problems that you experienced on Test Day were due to a combination of factors, the largest of which was probably that you were simply not properly prepared to face the full Test. While it's possible to improve in a short period of time if you have the proper resources and can adjust your tactics, you've been studying a certain way for so long that it will take some time to replace your "bad habits" with proper tactics.

If you were planning to apply for Round 3, then what would be the latest date that you could schedule your GMAT?

Rich
Hi Rich,

I would like to answer your questions.

1) I have only used OG13 and MGMAT's guides. I also solved some problems from internet sources like this forum or other forums. But my main sources were OG and MGMAT.

2) Yes, this was a great mistake that I did. I started to take CATs in Sunday, 4 days before actual exam. After first two CATs, I have realized that my panic level increases. In all tests, including actual one, when I stuck in a question, I spent almost six minutes to solve it and this means I dont have enough time for the last 4-6 questions. After quant part, since I could not complete it as I want, I started verbal part with a great dissappointment. And this mood build a wall for my verbal success.

To be honest, I trust my profile. I am from a rarely represented country euipped with a decent work experiences in several sectors. However, my GMAT score is below %80 range of most of my targeted schools (Only Tepper has a range between 620-740). I have two options for now. The first one is to apply with this score and give a guarantee to ad-com's for increasing my GMAT in January.However, I am not sure whether they will accept this offer or not. My second option will be to delay my application till Round 3 and study in this period for GMAT. This option lefts me with convoluted questions since the competitiveness of Round 3 and visa requirements for international students.

For the last 24 hours I am feeling that I stuck into mud and sink to the bottom minute by minute.

by bagcanbabayigit » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:26 am

Rich
Hi Rich,

I would like to answer your questions.

1) I have only used OG13 and MGMAT's guides. I also solved some problems from internet sources like this forum or other forums. But my main sources were OG and MGMAT.

2) Yes, this was a great mistake that I did. I started to take CATs in Sunday, 4 days before actual exam. After first two CATs, I have realized that my panic level increases. In all tests, including actual one, when I stuck in a question, I spent almost six minutes to solve it and this means I dont have enough time for the last 4-6 questions. After quant part, since I could not complete it as I want, I started verbal part with a great dissappointment. And this mood build a wall for my verbal success.

To be honest, I trust my profile. I am from a rarely represented country euipped with a decent work experiences in several sectors. However, my GMAT score is below %80 range of most of my targeted schools (Only Tepper has a range between 620-740). I have two options for now. The first one is to apply with this score and give a guarantee to ad-com's for increasing my GMAT in January.However, I am not sure whether they will accept this offer or not. My second option will be to delay my application till Round 3 and study in this period for GMAT. This option lefts me with convoluted questions since the competitiveness of Round 3 and visa requirements for international students.

For the last 24 hours I am feeling that I stuck into mud and sink to the bottom minute by minute.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:53 am
Hi bagcanbabayigit,

Can you list your exact deadlines for Round 2 applications?

Many Business Schools are "flexible" about receiving an Official GMAT score, as long as your application is in on time. Once you have scheduled your next Official GMAT, you should contact the schools and explain your situation. Let them know that you can have the application in on time, but your Official Test Date isn't for ____ days and ask if the school would still consider your application. My guess is that the Schools will probably be okay with that. Since it takes months to properly evaluate all of the applications that come in, they won't make a decision about you on the first day.

The pacing problems that you've experienced in the Quant and Verbal sections are likely based on how you "taught yourself" to perform. To fix those problems, you'll likely need to invest in some new GMAT resources that focus on different tactics; you'll also need to "spread out" your CATs (1 per week) so that you can spend the bulk of your time practicing and improving - you can then take a CAT to measure your progress.

Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by bagcanbabayigit » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:06 am

Can you list your exact deadlines for Round 2 applications?

Many Business Schools are "flexible" about receiving an Official GMAT score, as long as your application is in on time. Once you have scheduled your next Official GMAT, you should contact the schools and explain your situation. Let them know that you can have the application in on time, but your Official Test Date isn't for ____ days and ask if the school would still consider your application. My guess is that the Schools will probably be okay with that. Since it takes months to properly evaluate all of the applications that come in, they won't make a decision about you on the first day.

The pacing problems that you've experienced in the Quant and Verbal sections are likely based on how you "taught yourself" to perform. To fix those problems, you'll likely need to invest in some new GMAT resources that focus on different tactics; you'll also need to "spread out" your CATs (1 per week) so that you can spend the bulk of your time practicing and improving - you can then take a CAT to measure your progress.

Rich
Hi Rich

Today I got my official score. The breakdown is;

Verbal: 30 / %58
Quant: 47 / %68
Total: 620 /%67
AWA: 5.5 / %81
IR: 6 / %67

As I mentioned in my previous messages, I should have taken a score above at least 660-670 in order to get an acceptance from my targeted schools. In addition to that, I spoke with Ad-Com's of my targeted schools and three of them (Tuck, Darden, Tepper) had an positive approach for taking GMAT once again at the end of January and post a new score.

Yale SOM also accepted my proposal for retaking the exam, however they want me to submit a new score at latest in the second week of January. Since I am planning to write my essays and prepare my application packages in December. It is impossible for me to get a new, improved score in GMAT. Thats why I postpone my application to Round 3. I am still waiting a response from Cornell, by the way.

Here is my question. What will you offer me to improve my score from 620 to 700 in one month? Is it a dream that I can reach in one month or should i give up to dream about MBA? In your message you mentioned about new sources? Which sources will you offer me to improve my score, basically Verbal?