question Sc

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

question Sc

by gmat62 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:19 am
In the merger with Mobil Corporation in 1999, Exxon acquired 100K employees and added $120B of revenue, which doubled its revenue and that made it the largest private corporation on the planet.

A. In the merger with Mobil Corporation in 1999, Exxon acquired 100K employees and added $120B of revenue, which doubled its revenue and that made it
B. Merging with Mobil Corporation, Exxon, acquiring 100K employees in 1999 and adding $120B of revenue, doubled its revenue and made itself into
C. Exxon, in its merger with Mobil Corporation in 1999, acquired 100K employees, adding $120B of revenue, and doubled its revenue, making it
D. Acquiring 100K employees and adding $120B of revenue, Exxon doubled its revenue in 1999 and merged with Mobil Corporation in 1999, making it
E. In its merger with Mobil Corporation in 1999, Exxon acquired 100K employees and added $120B of revenue, doubling its revenue and making it

i some how feel that the OA (E) is not correct. the "it" at the end does not seem correct. the implied meaning of "comma+ verbing" in option E seems to suggest that "Exxon making Exxon the largest private corporation on the planet" .
i feel the better answer would have been: In its merger with Mobil Corporation in 1999, Exxon acquired 100K employees and added $120B of revenue, doubling its revenue and making ITSELF

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:46 am
gmat62 wrote: option E seems to suggest that "Exxon making Exxon the largest private corporation on the planet" .
i feel the better answer would have been: In its merger with Mobil Corporation in 1999, Exxon acquired 100K employees and added $120B of revenue, doubling its revenue and making ITSELF
The reflexive pronouns (himself, herself, itself, themselves) are appropriate when the subject is both the performer and the receiver of an action.
John taught himself.
Here, John is both the performer of the action (John taught) and the receiver of the action (John was taught).

Exxon acquired 100K employees and added $120B of revenue, making it the largest private corporation.
Here, Exxon does NOT make itself larger.
The conveyed meaning is that Exxon ACQUIRED employees and ADDED revenue and that these ACTIONS resulted in making Exxon the largest private corporation.
Since Exxon is not performing an action directly upon itself, the usage of a reflexive pronoun (itself) would be inappropriate.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by thang » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:39 am
sc tests meaning, specifically adverb relations, the relations between main clause and adverb, dependent clauses.

if adverb relations are distorted, it is hard for us to realize the distortion. if adjective relations are distorted, it is more easy for us to do so
looking for the girl living in Bradford UK, visiting Halong bay, Vietnam on 26- 27 Jan 2014. all persons, pls, forward this message to all persons you know to help me find her: my email: [email protected], call: 84904812758

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by thang » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:39 am
sc tests meaning, specifically adverb relations, the relations between main clause and adverb, dependent clauses.

if adverb relations are distorted, it is hard for us to realize the distortion. if adjective relations are distorted, it is more easy for us to do so
looking for the girl living in Bradford UK, visiting Halong bay, Vietnam on 26- 27 Jan 2014. all persons, pls, forward this message to all persons you know to help me find her: my email: [email protected], call: 84904812758