"as" vs "like" SC Question

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

"as" vs "like" SC Question

by Sprite_TM » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:35 pm
can someone tell me why "as" is right in answer C)?

i am a bit confused because i chose b. i know that like is used to compare simliar things and "as" for things with simliar action or function.

Teachers in this country have generally been trained either to approach mathematics like a creative activity or that they should force students to memorize rules and principles without truly understanding how to apply them.

a) to approach mathematics like a creative activity or that they should force students to memorize rules and principles
b) to approach mathematics like a creative activity or to force students to memorize rules and principles
c) to approach mathematics as a creative activity or to force students to memorize rules and principles
d) that they should approach mathematics as a creative activity or to force students to memorize rules and principles
e) that they should approach mathematics like a creative activity or that they should force students to memorize rules and principles

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

like vs as

by satish.nagdev » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:21 pm
[Like] is used to compare nouns (people or things), [as] is used to compare clauses
in this case ..to approach mathematics [clause] AS a.... is correct answer IMO.

HTH
Satish.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: "as" vs "like" SC Question

by x2suresh » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:49 pm
Sprite_TM wrote:can someone tell me why "as" is right in answer C)?

i am a bit confused because i chose b. i know that like is used to compare simliar things and "as" for things with simliar action or function.

Teachers in this country have generally been trained either to approach mathematics like a creative activity or that they should force students to memorize rules and principles without truly understanding how to apply them.

a) to approach mathematics like a creative activity or that they should force students to memorize rules and principles
b) to approach mathematics like a creative activity or to force students to memorize rules and principles
c) to approach mathematics as a creative activity or to force students to memorize rules and principles
d) that they should approach mathematics as a creative activity or to force students to memorize rules and principles
e) that they should approach mathematics like a creative activity or that they should force students to memorize rules and principles

Like is used to compare nouns
As is used to compare clauses (Actions)

to approach mathematics as [they approach] creative activity

A,B,E -- out Like is used
D -- either X or Y
X and y are not parallel

C is the best

Followed by:2 members

by confused13 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:13 am
I don't get this!!

If you say, to approach math AS a creative activity (and that's all that is written here; so not brackets [] please because that's no written here),
then you say math is equal to creative activity. Or alternatively, since as is used with roles and functions you say, teachers approach math as creative activity, meaning creative activities and teacher approach math in the same way.

BUT since MATH and CREATIVE ACTIVITY is NOT THE SAME, BUT SIMILAR shouldn it be like?

Followed by:2 members

by confused13 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:44 am
Could someone answer this?