From 310-500, target 650-700, what should i do next?

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I just graduated this June and and will like to go in for a Masters in Finance. Most top schools demand a GMAT score so I decided to take the GMAT this December. Late July I took some sample practice questions online, not a full practice test and I was doing pretty well especially for the quant, so i underestimated the GMAT. Silly right? I now know..

Anyway as advised by almost everyone who's ever taken the GMAT, I took my first full practice test using GMAT Prep 1 to gauge my level and to my surprise a 310!! (Q11 V12 IR 4 AWA not scored). I finished 24 mins before time for quant and 16 mins before time for verbal. It was obvious that I rushed.

I decided to use the next 1 month to study content and also focus on timing. After 15 days of studying half of MGMAT's guide and watching videos from Veritas, I took a full practice test and scored 540, (Q38, V27 IR 2 AWA not scored). I finished 18 mins before time for quant and 6 mins before time for Verbal. I suspected that timing was again my problem. (Happy but still more work to be done)

15 days later after going through the second half of the MGMAT's guides and again watching videos and reading articles from Veritas Prep, I took the MGMAT practice test and scored a 520!! (Q34, V28 IR 1.2 AWA not scored). :cry: I did poooooooorly in IR and that affected my motivation throughout the test. I finished 6 mins before time for quant and 4 mins before time for verbal. Timing problem again?

Still knowing I could do better, I started using the OG guide, I was scoring well and thus decided to try another practice test Princeton only to get a 510. (Q37,V24 IR 2, AWA not scored). I must confessed I was tired when I started with the verbal section.

From my personal review, I notice when I do well in Problem solving, I flop in Data Sufficiency and when I do well in Data Sufficiency, I flop in Problem Solving. Also when I do well in Sentence Correction, I do fairly well in Critical Reasoning, and when I do very well in Critical Reasoning, I do fairly well in Sentence Correction....For Reading Comprehension, I do well in long essays than in shorter ones.. Are these weird?

My question; What do I need to do to improve? I have 1 month left, and I will be glad to have at least a 650. I know I can still work harder. But what do I need to do efficiently to improve my score? I'm quite frustrated

Official Company Rep
Followed by:270 members
GMAT Score:800

by OfficialGMAT » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:38 am
Hello jnr57,

While this is a great question and a great community to help you with it, this particular forum is for questions for GMAC, the organization that produces the exam, such as scoring questions, technical concerns, or how to register for the exam. I would recommend asking this same question in some other forums within this community to make sure you get a good response from other users.

Thanks and best of luck.

Jeremy
Leah
Official GMAC Representative

Have a question about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, or GMAT exam structure? Post your question in our Ask the Test Maker forum!