what is management experience?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

what is management experience?

by randomguy » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:14 am
More spcifically, do you think schools that ask about certain time periods with "management responsibility" are referring to direct people managment?

In my case I manage sales/markets/meetings/projects and as a result sometimes people(peers)... but do not have anyone reporting to me... is this still considered "managment experience" in the eyes of the adcom.

for what its worth my title has had "manager" in it for a few years

Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:33 am
Dear randomguy,

It is not the title that matters, but what you actually do on the job. You do not have to manage people in a formal capacity or informal capacity to have management experience. Management incorporates supervising people but also managing a budget, a project, a P&L. So it comes down to responsibility and the scope of that responsibility. If you show progression over time in the size of your accounts, then you have substance to highlight in your application. If you do manage people even though that would not be on an org chart, you want to note that. From what you posted, I would say you do have management experience; it is up to you to effectively communicate it in your applications.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me