UR Minority Profile Review? Please?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

UR Minority Profile Review? Please?

by magse7en » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:17 am
Hey experts,

Long time lurker. Hoping for a quick profile review.

Male
29 years old
Mexican Born- US Resident (Eligible for Citizenship next year, does that matter?)
1st in family to graduate college
Taking GMAT in two weeks, Will apply R2.
Scoring 680-710 in test preps.
GPA 3.65
Majored in Finance & Marketing
Minor in Graphic Design
From small but prestigious private school in Utah.
Work as a Financial Advisor. 1 year at Wells Fargo.
Had 2 before at Fidelity.
Avid soccer involvement.
2 time All-American in college.
Scholarship from Jay-Z. (Shawn Carter Scholarshp fund)
Some entrepreneurship.
Started a youth club, have been coaching for years.
Have the accolades from coaching.
Have a compelling story to link the jump from entrepreneurship to finance. (Immigration stuff. Dream Act. Senator Involvement. Fixed problem.)

How likely am i for a top 20? Top 10?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member
Followed by:52 members

by CriticalSquareMBA » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:30 am
Hey there,

Thanks for the post! First off - yes, being eligible for citizenship helps :). Really shifts your employability profile!

So you have a strong GPA from a pretty good school, and experience in Finance coupled with community involvement that ties well to your passions. You also have some other things going for your such as your athletics, scholarship, recognition / accolades, etc. Those are all good things!

Now, that said, you haven't taken your GMAT. Mock exams, while helpful, are directional, not true assessments. So even if you score a 700 on a mock, doesn't mean you'll necessarily do that day of. The reason I say that is, year after year, we have clients who come to us pointing to mock exams and then pull in lower scores day of. There's simply a margin of error too large for them to be really useful.

Hopefully you absolutely crush the test but from a top 10 / 20 hypothesis - your guess is as good as mine without that data point. But suffice it say, you do well - you're in play!

After you take the GMAT - reach out to us and let's take this conversation a level deeper. You can sign up for a free consultation here.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Bhavik
Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Facebook | Twitter

We love helping! Was this post helpful to you? Thank us and let me know!

by magse7en » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:06 pm
Thank you. Will the citizenship help for MBA admissions or for employers post MBA?
Thank you for the reply. I will definately be giving you a call for a profile review once i take the test. Thank you!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:28 am
You're very welcome and can't wait to chat with you after you crush your test :). As to your question - it's important for employers. And because it's important to employers, it's important to the MBA adcom. A really important evaluation criteria is employability and citizens are employable!

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

by magse7en » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:09 pm
Got a 690 yesterday! Really wanted a 700, but I'll take a 690. Hoping I'm competitive..

GMAT/MBA Expert

Legendary Member

by CriticalSquareMBA » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:13 am
BOOM! That's fantastic - great job! That's a really strong score - don't let all the folks posting about retaking a 740 here fool you - you did really well!

If you want to chat in more detail about the path ahead and schools, now we can do that > sign up to chat with us here. Forums are great, but calls are better!

Bhavik

Web | Facebook | Twitter

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members
GMAT Score:620

by Kaneisha Grayson » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:28 pm
Hi Magse7en,

CriticalSquare has given you encouraging feedback that I agree with. My short answer is you are a VERY STRONG candidate for Top 20 schools. Be sure to apply to the big ones like Harvard, Stanford, and Wharton but make sure you also apply to other great business schools via the Consortium (https://www.cgsm.org/). You're a strong candidate for a full ride via the Consortium. I don't work for the Consortium or anything. I just have a great track record of helping minority applicants (and lots of non-minority applicants) get into business school (sometimes with funding) via the Consortium.

I'm happy for you! Happy applying!

Kaneisha
Harvard Business School MBA 2010, Harvard Kennedy School MPA 2010
Founder, The Art of Applying
Admissions Consulting for MBA, MPP, Joint Degrees, and Fellowships
https://theartofapplying.com

Want free advice that actually works? Sign up for my weekly MBA, MPP, and JD newsletter here: https://theartofapplying.com/newsletter/

My clients have earned over $3.1 million in fellowships from Harvard and other top MBA, MPP, and JD programs since 2010.

by magse7en » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:20 pm
HI Kaneisha,
What kind of help do you provide?
-Jose

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:31 members
GMAT Score:620

by Kaneisha Grayson » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:17 pm
Hi Jose,

I run an entire admissions consulting company called The Art of Applying (https://theartofapplying.com) that I started in 2010 when I graduated from HBS (with an entrepreneurship grant from the school).

I provide help with all parts of the application process or just certain parts if you only need a little help. We have comprehensive coaching, coaching by the hour, and essay and resume editing. You can read about all of our services here: https://theartofapplying.com/services

Let me know if you have any questions about how coaching works!

Kaneisha
Harvard Business School MBA 2010, Harvard Kennedy School MPA 2010
Founder, The Art of Applying
Admissions Consulting for MBA, MPP, Joint Degrees, and Fellowships
https://theartofapplying.com

Want free advice that actually works? Sign up for my weekly MBA, MPP, and JD newsletter here: https://theartofapplying.com/newsletter/

My clients have earned over $3.1 million in fellowships from Harvard and other top MBA, MPP, and JD programs since 2010.