Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

My ongoing journey to Beat the GMAT

by fermar84 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:38 am
Hi everybody, here is my ongoing path to beat the GMAT:

(*DNR=Do not remember)

CAT 1 2014/06 (LBS): 320 (DNR, DNR) -> Without reading about the test at all

CAT 2 2014/07 (DNR): 540 (DNR, DNR) -> After reading the strategy

CAT 3 2014/09/13 GMATPrep Free CAT 1: 540 (AWA, IR, Q34, V30)
-> After studying for a month following the 60-day guide
-> Ran out of time on Verbal, Finished Quant 15 mins earlier

CAT 4 2014/09/20 VeritasPrep 1: 660 (No AWA, No IR, Q44, V37)
-> Took the breaks and managed time very well
-> Breakfast and snacks during the breaks

CAT 5 2014/09/27 Kaplan Diagnostic Test (CAT 1): 590 (AWA, IR, Q45, V20)
-> Took the breaks
-> No breakfast, no snacks
-> During the week focused on SC with the eGMAT course (this is my weakest section)

On the last CAT, the Kaplan one, i felt the Quant section very challenging although I mis-managed my time and I think that without taking any food before and during the exam really affected me, however I would like to ask a couple of questions because I really see it as a step back:

1. During my preparation phase, how many CAT's would you advice to take during a week, I have been taking the CATs on Saturdays at 8:30 am but I think that one CAT per week is very slow to prepare for the exam (I have it scheduled for Oct 25).

2. I think that the IR section wears me down, if this section is not important, does the score here really matters for Business Schools?

Any additional advice would be really appreciated,

Thanks in advance,
Fernando

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:06 pm
Hi Fernando,

With 1 month left before your Test Date, you still have time to improve, but you must put some emphasis on the "reality" of Test Day. Skipping the AWA and IR sections is NOT a good idea, since you miss out on testing your endurance/fatigue-response, you likely earn an "inflated" score and your strengths/weaknesses are less clearly defined. I'm not surprised that your Veritas score was the highest - you skipped the first hour of the Test.

Looking at your scores, there's an inconsistency with how you're approaching the Verbal section. You're "narrowing it down and guessing" too often (without really knowing what you're looking for in a correct answer) - that approach will not lead to consistently strong results.

You've correctly diagnosed that eating the right combination of food/drink on Test Day can provide a significant benefit, so you should make sure to do so during your practice. As far as CATs are concerned, you should plan to take 1 per week. The bulk of your time should be spent on practice and review of past work.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by fermar84 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:47 pm
Hi Rich, for the last CAT I was disappointed after the Quant section, I though I was terrible when in fact I performed as usual. That changed my approach to Verbal and took the section careless. That, combined with the fact that I was already worn out resulted in my worst performance in the Verbal section.

In the Veritas CAT I could see the score after the Quant section, and since I did not bad at all, that encouraged me to take the Verbal section with more enthusiasm (and energy since no AWA/IR). I know this should not happen when the real test day arrive, but I am working on my mental toughness (unfortunately, I am only human).

I have not scheduled the Test yet, but here in Colombia there is no congestion at this time of the year since not a lot of people plans to go and do a MBA. The only reason I want to do it in October is to make it before the round 1 deadline.

Thanks again,
Fernando