Profile evaluation required. GMAT: 620 TOEFL: 100

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello,

Profile: GMAT: 620 (Q: 47 V: 29 IR: 7 AWA: 5.5)

Undergrad: B.Tech (CS) from Amity University (Jaipur Campus)
CGPA: 6.78 on a scale of 10.

2 years of work ex in IT industry in a MNC.
Currently working in an emerging startup.

Extra curricular activities in high school and college.

I am looking forward to below schools:

1. Georgia Tech (Scheller)
2. UTD (Naveen Jindal)
3. Penn State (Smeal)

Please let me know my chances in the above schools and also suggest me schools I can apply with this profile.

Thanks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:770

by GeneralEducation » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:28 am
Hi,

You should ideally apply to minimum 5 schools to increase your chances. You can also target B-schools like Thunderbied, Babson, Purdue. Also explain about your post MBA career goals, which sector you want to get into. Few more details are needed to suggest you some realistic schools based on your profile. You can also try B-School Selector Tool by clicking here https://goo.gl/ocaeu6

Regards,
Manish
www.genedmba.com

Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:58 am
Lucky28 wrote:Hello,

Profile: GMAT: 620 (Q: 47 V: 29 IR: 7 AWA: 5.5)

Undergrad: B.Tech (CS) from Amity University (Jaipur Campus)
CGPA: 6.78 on a scale of 10.

2 years of work ex in IT industry in a MNC.
Currently working in an emerging startup.

Extra curricular activities in high school and college.

I am looking forward to below schools:

1. Georgia Tech (Scheller)
2. UTD (Naveen Jindal)
3. Penn State (Smeal)

Please let me know my chances in the above schools and also suggest me schools I can apply with this profile.

Thanks.
Hi Lucky

The above mentioned schools look a bit ambitious to me and would be highly selective keeping in mind your current score and work experience.

You should try retaking your GMAT and come up with at least A 680+ if you are specifically looking at Georgia Tech. And of course your career goals and how you present your application matters.

Alternative options which you can consider could be: Babson, University of Pittsburgh -Katz, Northeastern University, Rutgers etc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Manya Abroad

Followed by:8 members

by interviewbay22 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:55 pm
Hello

Your GPA and GMAT scores are very low for the schools you are targeting. The average GPA at all these schools is around 3.4 and average GMAT is around 660 to 690. You will have to improve your GMAT score significantly for two reasons - it's a lot lower than what these schools expect and to make up for your GPA. You need to work a lot on your verbal score and increase your quant score by a few more points.

How many years of total full time work experience do you have? The average work experience at these schools is 4 - 5 years. I would suggest you to work for a year or two more before applying to business schools. Tell me in detail about your work experience - your accomplishments so far. What extracurricular activities were you a part of in college? Have you also been involved in extracurriculars with your company or outside of your work? If not, I would advise you to do something about it in the coming year or two.

With your current profile, unfortunately, I don't think you will make it any of the good business schools. I suggest you take another shot at GMAT and score around 700 - 720. This will make up for your GPA to some extent. This will also show that you have a strong quant background and are a good enough candidate to perform well in the MBA coursework.

This article can probably give you an idea about the important components of a business school application.https://www.interviewbay.com/blog/6-comp ... pplication

All the best
www.interviewbay.com
Application Reviews and Mock Interviews by Alumni of your Target B-School