580 :( retaking. round 1 or two? - long rant. excuse me.

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hey guys

I am an Indian girl with a bachelor's in biotech from a top 5 university in India and a master's in microbio from a mid range university here in the US. I have about 2 yrs of work experience working for big biotech names. But due to visa reasons I havenot been working for about 2 years now. I worked in IT for a few months, now I have been volunteering for a non profit educational institution. You can clearly tell I am not a typical MBA candidate. But I got into biotech for the business side of it. I wanted my work experience before I got into an MBA but unfortunately it's only a 2 year experience and R&d that too.

I studied hard for 5 months and took my gmat yday. Got a 580 - 41Q 30V. It was a bizarre experience. All my practice tests were on the 620 -660 range. Even MGMAT. I was hoping for at least a 640. The weird thing is I didnt feel like I didnt know any question on quant. I knew how to solve all of them starting from Q1. I think that means, I must have made some careless mistake early on,which took me on a downward spiral, right?
Verbal was the weirdest. Questions were hard. Harder than any practice test I ve seen. 4 comprehension passages all long difficult ones. I thought I was doing well may be. But The score was shocking.

I am retaking on OCT 21st. Dilemma is if I should start doing app work and continue taking practice tests or if I should apply for round two and not rush my app work now.
I attended veritas classes, I used their material for studying. I completed OG 13 and OG 13 review on quants. I partially completed verbal on OG 13 and OG 13 review. I took veritas practice tests, one gmac and a few MGMAT practice tests - about 7 tests altogether.

Any suggestions on prep/test taking/applying/ general cheering up would be helpful. Thank u

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:30 am
Hi divdharsh,

While you're probably not happy right now, you're not alone. A certain percentage of Test Takers end up retaking the GMAT (some do so several times). Thankfully, Business Schools don't care if you retake the GMAT, so there's no problem doing so. I'd like to know a bit more about your study history and your goals. Once those details have been defined, we can put together a plan for what you can do next.

1) What is your goal score?
2) What schools are you planning to apply to?

3) Can you provide the scores for each of your CATs (including the date you took it and the Quant/Verbal Scaled Scores)?
4) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT every time (including the Essay and IR)?
5) Did you take any of the CATs more than once?

6) What did you do the day before your Test?
7) How well did you sleep the night before?
8) How long was the ride to the Testing Center?

A 580 isn't that "far' from 620-660, so it might be that you just had a bad day, but I'd like to see how your Official Score matches up with your practice scores. It might also be that something you did during your practice was unrealistic, so you weren't properly prepared for the exact aspects of Test Day.

If you have questions about the Veritas Course, then you can ask one of that company's reps directly (there's a Veritas Sub-Forum on this site).

I think that it's a good idea for you to retest as planned. However, I think that some analysis of how you've been studying is warranted. You might also need to invest in some new resources (since the ones that you used didn't help you enough to succeed).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by divdharsh » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:45 pm
Hi Rich

1) What is your goal score?
My goal score is 680. Meaning anything less than that I wouldnt be jumping with joy. But 650 and above I wont be sad.
2) What schools are you planning to apply to?

See here is the tricky part. I am unable to select schools without knowing my score range. I live in the bay area. I d like to stay here if that s possible. Having said that, I am willing to leav the bay area if I get a really good school. Berkeley is out of the question because I have been unemployed for 2 yrs, I have a master's degree in microbiology and a bachelor's in biotech but I dont have sufficient work experience - SO I don't know how to pick schools. But I have UT AUSTIN , USC, NYU(stretch may be), UC davis, Cornell, Boston university ( they have a healthcare/biotech focussed MBA) on my list right now. I will apply to smaller programs just to be in the bay area like Santa Clara University and San Jose state.

And now that R1 deadlines r gone in many schools, and I failed badly in my gmat, I might have to reevaluate after my second attempt?

3) Can you provide the scores for each of your CATs (including the date you took it and the Quant/Verbal Scaled Scores)?
Q -41 V-30 IR -5

4) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT every time (including the Essay and IR)?
No, IR I took many times. Not always. Essay - I would spend that half hr reading essay responses to that topic and then proceed to IR. I wouldnt actually write them, no. I did that just once.

5) Did you take any of the CATs more than once?
My practice tests - I did a buch of them. I didnt repeat any though.
I attended veritas classes. Group classes. So I have access to their tests. The scores were

veritas test 1 -47 V 29 Total 650
Veritas test 2 -Q 42 V 33 Total 640
Gmac test Q43 V 32 Score 620
MGMAT 1 - Q37 V30 Total 560 ---- > ( This one I thought was an outlier, cos I spent close to 6 mins on one question, which I wouldnt have done on any other test which made me miss 3 questions in the end)
Veritas test 3 -Q 42 V 28 Total - 610
MGMAT 2 - Q40 V36 Total 630

6) What did you do the day before your Test?
I went through formulas and I looked up some probability questions, combinatorics and mixture solution kind of questions and went through forums in general for last min advice :) I went through sentence correction flash cards.

7) How well did you sleep the night before? slept pretty well. No problems there. Went to bed early. But I was anxious the whole day and in general in a foul mood

8) How long was the ride to the Testing Center? It was at 8 in the morning. I woke up at 5 30, showered, had breakfast and left home at 7. The test center was 20 mins away. I reached with time to spare.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:22 pm
Hi divdharsh,

Based on what you've described, there are some aspects of your studies that weren't Test-Like, so you weren't properly prepared for the Official GMAT and your score suffered as a result.

1) You weren't taking your CATs in a realistic way. Unless you take the ENTIRE CAT, in a manner that is as similar as possible to Test Day, then the results are likely to be "off" (and "inflated"/higher than they probably should have been).

2) Your Scaled Scores for the Quant and Verbal section had some "swings" to them, meaning that on certain CATs you were likely "getting lucky" on some of your guesses. The Q47 (on your 1st CAT) and the V36 (on your last CAT) are outliers that you were never able to repeat. Based on the scores that remain, your Official GMAT (Q41, V30) isn't far off.

3) Do you normally wake up at 5:30am in the morning? If not, then this type of change to your schedule could have negatively affected your performance.

Since you have put in a good chunk of time already, it would probably make sense to continue studying and retake the GMAT in 1-2 months. Pushing everything back a bit so that you could make the Round 2 deadlines (with a stronger overall application) is probably the best plan.

Rich

by divdharsh » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:04 am
So I did retake my GMAt last month and I got a 610. I got a whopping 85 percentile on verbal and bombed badly on quants. I hope that the fact tht I have an engineering degree and a master's in science and work experience in research would help the committee believe in my quant skills despite my score. I am still going to go ahead with my applications because I have already spent 2 yrs waiting for something to come up. I dont want to waste anymore time. And no I am not going to retake GMAT now because I do not have time,( first round deadlines are gone and 2nd round deadlines are here) nor do I believe that one parameter could carry so much weightage. It still costs lot of time and money to take the test. WIsh I had taken my gmat earlier.
I have decided to apply to Santa CLara Univ, UC Irvine, USC, UC davis, UT austin and BU. UC irvine also has a MS in Biotech Management degree which I am also researching about. BU has an excellent healthcare/biotech focus program. I am also looking at taking up business math or business basics courses on coursera to get a head start and to make up for my poor quant scores. Hope it makes some difference. This s where I stand currently. will keep u all posted abt applications. Thank u for the support

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:48 am
Hi divdharsh,

With a 610, you're in range of most (if not all) of the schools that you listed, so you shouldn't hold back on any of these applications. Business School Admissions Officers are savvy - they understand that not everyone is an amazing Test Taker. If you deliver a strong overall application, then they'll notice. Some may even want to interview you (and THAT'S always a great opportunity).

If you have questions about your applications, you should post in the Admissions Forum (on this site).

Rich