Please help? can 55% be "very likely"

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Please help? can 55% be "very likely"

by disneylover2014 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:16 pm
I am confused with this question:

Researchers have found that one in five patients hospitalized for heart attack experiences a major depression. According to the cardiologists who conducted the research, the depressed patients are fifty five percent more likely than other heart attack patients to need hospital care for a heart problem again within a year and three times as likely to die from a future attach or other heart-related conditions.

If the statements above true, which of the following must be true?

a) If a person dies of a heart attack, there is a high probability that he may have been suffering from depression as well.
b) If a patient needs to be re-hospitalized for a heart related problem within a year of his earlier heart attack, it is very likely that he may be suffering from depression
c) There are some similarities between symptoms of depression and symptoms of heart attack in a patient
d)....
e)......

The correct answer is b. I am confused because in b, it uses "VERY LIKELY" while in the stimulus it says that "fifty five percent more likely than other heart attack patients to need hospital care for a heart problem again within a year". To me 55% is likely but cannot be VERY likely. I eliminated this answer because I thought it is an exaggerated answer. However the book says B is the correct answer. What do you think? Do you think 55% more likely means "very likely"?

Thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:21 members

by David@GMATPrepNow » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:04 am
Hi disneylover2014,

"Very likely" might stretch the definition of 55% ("more likely" would be better). However, the other answers can be eliminated with better reasons.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:05 pm
Hi disneylover2014,

One of the important things to remember about Verbal questions is that there is only 1 correct answer. Here, we're dealing with an inference question; the correct answer to these types of question can sometimes be subtle.

As you improve in the Verbal section, you'll find that CATs (and the Official GMAT) will throw you some tougher questions with more subtle solutions. In certain questions, you'll find yourself thinking "I don't like ANY of the answers".... but one of them still has to be correct. When this occurs, you have to be even more stringent with WHY you're eliminating an answer. Knowing the common patterns the GMAT writers use and what the common wrong answers "look like" will also help you to pick up those additional points.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]