A complete newbie to GMAT or any other standardised tests!

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi all,

I just decided to take a GMAT test in december (I even didn't book for any test date yet. Do I have to register for one ASAP or there's still time?). As you might have guessed from my previous statement, I don't know anything about GMAT! I graduated from BBA and just decided to apply for a master in finance in a target school in Europe. Since yesterday I started to research on the preparation phase, there are variety of different opinions on how to do so though. I need a big help to understand what should I do from scratch. First of all I should say something about myself and my objectives. First that English in not my first language and I don't consider myself excellent on the subject. Then, I have to add that I consider logic and reasoning to be my strengths in general but I know I have to work on my math and specially Geometry is one of my weaknesses. I am a fast learner but also very detail-oriented person, which sometimes makes me stick for a while to particular type of problems for the first attempt. My goal for score is to obtain 700+.
Additionally I did not even take any GMAT diagnosis/simulator so naturally I do not have any idea about my current score level. So there are people in this community and elsewhere who are suggesting to start with MGMAT study guide first before taking OG and on the other hand, there are other people who suggest vice-versa. There are people who suggest firstly to take a diagnosis test (or one of the two free test provided by GMAC) before even starting for preparation from scratch and in the contrary, others suggest to first go with MGMAT books then take a diagnosis and then go for the OG.
I prefer to assume that I have 2 months until my test day, to feel the urgency and then use my bonus month to master on my mistakes and weaknesses then. BUT HOW SHOULD I START FROM THE SCRATCH? Should I go and randomly work on my geometry/math/verbal or should I start with MGMAT right away? If the latter is the case, should I go first with geometry guide of Manhattan that I know I have a great weakness on it or should I follow the books in a special order? Or maybe, I should start with the OG first? Or from different video tutorials on the internet (e.g. Magoosh, KhanAcademy, etc.)?
Please help me. I really appreciate it A LOT!
Thanks in advance!

Ben

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:09 am
Hi Ben,

Most Test Takers start off feeling a bit unsure of themselves. There will certainly be some areas that you are weak on; if there weren't, then you wouldn't have to study at all.

There isn't a "wrong way" to study, as long as whatever you're doing helps you to improve. There ARE more efficient ways to study though, and your first "steps" can help to make the latter steps go more smoothly. It's important to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT test early on; you can start with one or take one in the first week of your studies, but it is a MUST. You need to know what the a full GMAT "feels like" and we need to get a real sense of your strengths and weaknesses. For example, you say that Geometry is a weakness, but "how weak" is it really? Do you know NOTHING about geometry or are you just a little "rusty"? Could you answer some of the questions or are you completely helpless in this subject? The information from that first CAT will also help to evaluate your endurance and pacing skills, which are 2 areas that you can't assess just by doing practice problems.

A full CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to do so in one sitting. Afterwards, you should report back here with your scores and we can review your plans and timeline.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by BennOam » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:31 pm
Dear Rich,

Thanks a lot for your helpful insight. So I'd like to work on and study for a week before I take my first full length practice CAT test as you suggested. For this very first week, what should be my study plan in your opinion? Which book(s) and what section(s) should I focus on for this week?

Regards
Ben

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:49 pm
Hi Ben,

You can choose whichever areas you'd like to focus on and whichever books to use (perhaps the areas that you're most concerned about and/or anything content related - math formulas, grammar rules, etc.). Starting from scratch, with just one weak of basic studying, is likely not going to change the outcome of your first practice CAT all that much.

Most Test Takers need 3 months (or more) of consistent, organized study time to hit their peak scores, so don't put too much pressure on yourself in this first week. Taking that first complete CAT should be your first real task.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]